Is my hammer coral Dead?? PICS Inside, hurry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mario8402, Mar 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

Well for the past few days my hammer coral seems to have been shrinking and shrinking more. I have tried feeding it, but I could not tell if it was eating. I turned off all pumps and dropped some mysis shrimp on it. I noticed no movement. Today I noticed that it is almost all the way sunken in, and in one spot there is nothing but a hole.. also there what looks like pieces of him floating away.

Here is a quick timeline.

The night I brought it home
    [​IMG]

3-4-07

[​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics arent the best, but let me know what you think of the situation.

Edit: This coral is set the highest of all my other corals.. its about 8 inches from the surface under 1 65 watt 10,000k and 65 actinic just for reference. Also, all params come back 100%. I do 5-7 gal water changes every monday

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Is there any evidence of brown jelly? This coral is very susceptible to diseases.

4. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

there is a little bit of brown stuff. you can kind of see it in the last pic. its like its 'arms' are broken out and stuck waving with the water... dont know if its so much jelly like though

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Looks like it is dying to me as it has happened to me. Looks like zooxanthellae is being exhausted and the tissue is receding.
    The picture isn't to clear though!

6. Rob

Rob Astrea Snail

I have lost a few..outlook looks bleak

Sorry for your loss

7. wmbella

wmbella Plankton

don't know if this will help but someone told me that hammers need a good suppply of calcium in the tank

8. Click Here!

9. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

LFS told me that calcium test was a little too high so to cut back on whatever i was adding.. havent added anything but ph buffer and purple up, but I havent added it in about a week and ahalf

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

With the high calcium level, I would check your alkalinity level as well!!! A high calcium usually coincides with a low alkalinity! Your magnesium may be low also do to a high calcium level depleting magnesium in your water!

11. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

damnit lol.. always something!
    I will have my own test kit this monday, but I dont think it includes alkalinity or magnesium