Is my frogspawn splitting?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by hank8888, Jun 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hank8888

hank8888 Coral Banded Shrimp

How do you know if a frogspawn is splitting? I think mine is on one side the is a crack by where all the tentacles come out. I just feed my frogspawn to take a pic where it is splitting. Thath why it looks weird.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

By the looks it appears to be just that! Mine would split often when feed regulary. Congrats.

4. hank8888

woot lol but it has not split all the way how long does it take

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Yep... that is one splitting frogspawn. I don't even feed mine anymore. Once it started splitting I had to stop feeding it. It has literally grown in size at least 6 or 7 times already in 1 year.

6. hank8888

my tank is 6 months old and i added it about 4 months ago so i think i am doing good so far knock on wood

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It looks like it. Keep that frogspawn happy. It's one of my favorites in my reef.

8. Click Here!

9. hank8888

I will try thanks

10. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

what do you feed your frogspawn?

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

How do you feed it? I can only feed mine if I put a cup over it and keep it completely stagnant. Which is way too much effort. So I don't. And that's with Mysis. If I try anything bigger, it won't take it at all.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

This is what I used to do:

Grab a 2 liter soda bottle (transparent is a plus) and cut the bottom off. But try and measure how long you need the body to be.

You're going to use the top part, where the lid goes.
    Slowly lower the bottle with the cut out bottom and cover the frogspawn, leaving it slightly buried in the sand bed, and then with the pipette, pick up some thawed mysis and squirt it from the open top (where the lid was).

My tang realized eventually what was going on, and knocked the bottle down with its tail to get to the food, so i eventually had to make a new bottle and cut it a bit longer to bury it more into the sand bed. Since the edges of the plastic are so thin, you're barely disturbing the sand bed. It worked for me until the bottle wasn't big enough to hold the frogspawn inside. Then I stopped feeding it, but it keeps growing, so I'm assuming it's getting food from the water column.

EDIT: I only fed mine once a week.