Resolved Is my frogspawn dying/dead?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by country1911, Oct 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yesterday it was huge, making great growth. Today, it has shrunk and looks flaccid. I quickly checked all params: amm 0, trite, 0, trate 2.5, cal 460, SG 1.024.

Does it need more light? Less light? Currently it is sitting on the sand. I have an idea it may be my "peppermint" shrimp causing this as I just saw it poke at some zoas. Does it need to take a trip to my fuge?

My actinics came on about 2 hours ago and my daylights about an hour ago. Am I just being impatient and should give it more time? My zoas look great and extended as well as my trumpet.

Anyway, please help me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

personally, that looks like its done. not sure the peppermint would do that damage. how long have you had it?

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

That doesn't look good, bud. How's the flow on that area?
    Mine doesn't like strong flow, so I had to keep moving it and waiting a week or so for it to adapt to the new spot. Finally found a corner with very little flow and it fills up nicely now.

Mine also became all "flacid" when it split into 2 heads. It took it a while to recover.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For me it is hard to tell from the pic, if you can brighten the pic or take another that would probably help.

And this is the exact reason I do not like peppermint shrimp. Weather he did any damage or not, they can be very trouble some to LPS. They are so persistant in seeking out food they will irritate a coral so badly to the point of the corals demise. This is my personal experience with them regarding duncans and frogspawn. The peppermints also ate my mini-maxi anemones, an expensive lesion learned the hard way for me.:angry:

6. country1911

I have had it 6 days, adapted well, the pic was with all powerheads off, it gets enough flow to move the tentacles but not blow them all around, just enough for constant current. So should I pull it, or move it to somewhere without flow?

7. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

hmmm... sometimes LPS corals deflate due to ph swings... have you made any changes to your water recently? dosed alk or kalk?

your picture is kind of hard to make out... most of my LPS retract their polyps at night (except the candycane, which is on an opposite schedule). How long have the lights been on? I'd give some time before I'd pronounce it dead...

Also, look around to make sure there is nothing on it... I had what I found to be a Euphyllia eating flatworm on my hammer coral, and it was taking it out slowly to the point of killing it, see here: http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/euphyllia-eating-flatworm-87666.html

8. Click Here!

9. country1911

And I am irritated because the peppermint went to the fuge through the overflow like everyday for a month and I kept putting him in the DT. Now I wish I would have left him.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

What is your lighting? Some flow is fine, but if it's strong enough to cause the heads to retract, it's too strong.

11. country1911

Lights are Nova pro 6bulb SLR. Has 2 ATI actinics, 2 UVL super actinic and 2 UVL ultra white 10k I think. Looks a lot whiter in person, I suck at taking pics. I run a 12 hour actinic cycle and 10 hours for daylights.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

URGENT!!!!! Get the shrimp out. I had 2 out of 4 LPS eating peppermint shrimp. They were not camel shrimp but the common everyday peppermints. One destroyed my single head tricolor frogspawn in 10 minutes of puting him in the DT, and other took out 4 heads of blasto in the same amount of time.