Is my Brain browning?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Jul 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Is my brain growing?

I recently added an LED unit over my tank. The ridges/walls surrounding each each mouth appear to be "puffier" and taller than they once were. Not only that, they appear to have a translucent red/brownish tint to them now. Under my old lights they were pretty colorless; mostly brown with a green speckled interior (as seen in the images). The green speckled interior is still there.

The coral appears to have more "body" (puffier) now.

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Puffing up has always been a good sign of growth in my platygyra. When my platy stopped growing it also deflated until I got the flow more to it's liking and it puffed back up and started growing again.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well that's encouraging. The translucent rim on the ridge walls is a bit of a concern for me, but maybe that normal for growing LPS (like white tips on SPS)?

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Hard to tell, but with flash you can kind of make out what I was suggesting. Notice how the rim of the ridges appear translucent with a slight reddish hue to it? Also notice how the ridges appear taller in this image than in the images on the first page.

EDIT: ADDED THE IMAGE FROM PAGE ONE (IT'S PIC #2).

Attached Files:

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Now I'm convinced it's browning out. Anything I can do?

7. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Just wait, it can come back. Maybe turn your LEDs down a little bit

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on above

alternatively if all your other corals are happy with present lighting regime then moving that coral into a more shaded area can help IME

if you can place it where it would be partially shaded by rock overhang or by a coral placed above it, that can also help to get them to return to normal coloration

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I don't really have any experience with brains, so I am kind of conflicted on what exactly is going on. Under the all blue, I can see a redish/yellow color along the ridges that didn't use to be there. However, with the whites (and blues) on, it looks a little browner (and translucent along the tips of the ridges). It's still green closer to the mouth.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Noticed this morning that it had yellow ridges while it's polyps were extended, but looks colorless and translucent otherwise when the full spectrum is on; Odd.

12. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Sounds like the coral is bleaching. You could try moving it to where it is partially shaded. LED fixtures can be quite intense.

Also, are you dosing anything to the tank other than calc, mag, or alk?