Is my anemone sick?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by muskrat, Jun 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Hmm, could it have been chemical warfare?
    I agree it looked fine.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Just so you know a tank that is two month tank is not fully cycled. Cycling can take months and each time something is added (rock, sand, or piece of equipment) it starts a mini cycle.

4. ComputerJohn

They all do, my female at this point (she's 5 years old) will swim from one side of the tank & bite me.

5. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

My Clownfish is getting nippy too. They are very protective of their Anemone.:cheesy:

What was the reason the hawkfish was hiding....what fish was bothering it?

Was it the clownfish?

6. ComputerJohn

Mine lays eggs!! You think they are protective about an anemone, wait til they lay eggs.. She bites the magnet scrubber, jumps out of the water to get you, a real psycho! Being a clown, you would think they would be jolly! :)

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

If your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are at zero, your tank has finished the cycle of establishing nitrifying bacteria in the rock and sandbed. The amount of time this tank depends on a 1000 varibles, like using dry sand or live sand, wether the tank was seeded with live rock or not, etc. It is completely ridiculous for anyone to stamp a time period on cycling. You are right about adding sand or rock and starting a mini cycle, but she was adding a nem, and her levels were in check.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i dont see it ridiculous to put a time on a cycle, there is always an average, i believe a person with experience could easily keep a nem in a tak directly after the cycle, however it is not the easiest thing to do and that is because their is still die off of algae and other materials that cause the tank to be unstable a few weeks to months after the initial cycle has finished. these swings in params are easily enough to make a nem unhappy. and a unhappy nem is something a first timer will have difficulty fixing.

10. CODEE111

:lol::lol:That's too funny....Psycho Clowns!:lol:

I think mine are still too young to lay eggs and if so they are doing it behind the rocks. She does start to get fat, then they disappear for a day or so, then they will come out one at time, then 2-3 days later, I'll see both again. Kinda thought it was breeding behavior of some sort but wasn't sure.

Now that the Nem is there, you couldn't tear the female away from it with a stick of dynamite.:cheesy:

11. CODEE111

Is it possible for a protective clownfish to kill (not necessarily eat, but stress to death), a Hawkfish that is getting to close to its Nem. I know clowns get goofy over what they think is theirs.