Is my anemone sick?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by muskrat, Jun 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

Oh wow, so sorry about your loss. I am really surprised it didn't make it.....He looked better than mine.

2. Click Here!

3. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

my water was perfect. phosphate was 8.2, salinity 1.023 and nitrates 5...everything else 0

4. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

well, I found my Flamehawk half eaten. I think he was being bullied because he wasn't shy until two days ago. This has not been a good day.

5. CODEE111

It's quite possible that when the hawk fish died, it polluted the tank and put toxins into the water and killed the anemone. Toxins don't show up on the test strips. Maybe not your fault the Nem died. In my opinion, your Nem looked really good in the last image....better than mine.

I do think I would do a water change ASAP just to be safe. You don't want a domino effect with the critters you have left.

I wish you lived close to Peoria, Illinois. I would give you my Hawkfish. He is a bully and ripped the legs off my 3 year old cleaner shrimp a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking for a good home for him....somewhere away from me. At this point, he is on my Ka-Ka list.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

When you say half eaten, (lets be a little CSI here) did it look like a fresh half eaten or a been there half eaten fish?

While it is true an anemone can be picky, your water tested fine & it was eating which amkes me want to wonder if there wasnt other things going on.

7. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

ship the hawkfish down to Dallas. :)

he was half fresh eaten it seemed. My wife saw him this morning but for two days he's been hiding in the back of tank on the sand and he ate yesterday. I'm dumbfounded still.

I'm going to the fish store now to test the water, which by the way, I tested an hour ago and passed with flying colors.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Was the anemone floating around the tank?

Was it still attached to the rock?

10. CODEE111

11. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

temperature was 79 f

he was half detached and falling apart.

12. CODEE111

In my opinion, the temperature is in the right range.