Is my anemone sick?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by muskrat, Jun 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

+1 for an update.

Just to add, I only have experience with condi's, but when moved to a new tank, I have seen it close up so small I swore it was dead, but it always comes back once it settles in. I wouldnt worry too much, your nem is probably just fine.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I see a couple of things that come into play here. First off "reefer maturity"...funny term, but I hear what you're saying. The learning curve is fairly steep for most people the first few months into this hobby. That's why 80% of people who start a reef tank have given up and quit before the first year is up. As we learn we also make mistakes, which most likely cause some bouncing around of parameters.

The other piece of the equation is there is still a lot going on after a tank has "cycled" (IE. the basic nitrogen cycle is complete). There are many things we can't/don't test for that contribute to less than stable parameters for many months after that. Algae blooms and die offs will cause some fluctuations, various micro fauna will explode then die off as they exhaust their food supply. That's why more sensitive animals like nems are generally suggested after at least six+ months.

I think you hit the nail on the head in saying that it's a combination of both...you need a tank that is truly "aged/matured" and therefore stable, and also a hobbyist that has weathered the mistakes that we ALL make as newbs.

4. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

sorry guys been traveling. here's the updated picture below. he's doing well and the percula is hosting again....fingers crossed!
    [​IMG]

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Look to be doing quite well.

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Slightly brown? Maybe move him up?
    Looking good!

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Looks to be doing okay. Great news.

8. Click Here!

9. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

now he seems to be half the size he was earlier today with his mouth open. what gives?
    I have a T5 lighting for the aquarium but the lights are only on 8 hours a day. He was hidden under a rock in the previous aquarium.

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Give it another day, it might be okay. My bta inflates and deflates once a week. IME be patient and they recover.

11. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

do not do this let him be moving it will not help anything !!!

12. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

I haven't touched him. Will try feeding today. He seems to have closed his mouth.