Is my anemone sick?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by muskrat, Jun 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

You really have to get away from telling people everytime they buy an anemone it will die, and or they should return it. I dont want to derail the thread or start another arguement but this is a straight up FALSE statement, and continually telling people to "rip" anemones out of thier tank is not good advice, as forcibly removing it will almost certainly damage the foot and raise the mortality rate astronomically. I am going to explain why and its not to create drama with you but rather so that people that buy them have an understanding why.

There is preferred and recommended times where you should and could add certain livestock but the majority of this is all public guess work. There is no LAW of science or biology that says it will die being added to a new tank, or that a tank must be x months old. If a person is well prepared, researches or even researches after buying one there is still very high chances it will survive and thrive.

Telling someone it is gonna die is going to make them want to mess with it, take it out of the tank, touch, prod or poke it. All of these things can injury it, tear the foot trying to take it out, or further provoke something in the anemone & possibly hurt an anemone that was doing just fine. Let's share our knowledge on how to take care of the anemone & get it to grow & put it in educated hands so it has a better chance.

I myself added a maxi to one of my tanks at about 3 months in. It is now double the size and I am infact considering fragging it. It hasnt died and the anemone police havent come to the door. I am very diligent with my param's, tests, water changes and maintenance. This is what provides a steady and consistent living enviroment.

Can something happen? sure but something can happen to your tank at any time even if your prepared.

Now back to the matter at hand. Just relax and let it get adjusted. Fidgeting and messing with it can or likely will do more harm then good. Livestock needs some adjusting time. It may even look crappy for a day or two, but unless it starts to melt or fall apart give it a little time to adjust. You'll be suprised, they are delicate but they do live and come from the not picture perfect ocean so they are a little durable.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

hes transferring the nem to a tank thats 2 months old, not established enough imo should be at least 6 months old.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yes but that is not my opinion.
    Some of the most sensitive creatures we put in our tanks are put in first and that would be snails and crabs, used as our Clean up crews.

Please explain to me the difference in a tank 2 months old and a 6 months old

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

+1 I agree with you totally. I would love to hear bvb explain what the difference between a fully cycled 2 month tank and a 6 month tank is.

I have experience with a maxi mini and a condi and both were added to young tanks, both are HUGE now and couldn't look better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

mini maxis and condys are very easily cared for, i could probably dump some salt in the toilet and both would thrive. but for the very sensitive clownfish hosting nems you need to ensure the tank is entirely established and balanced because one say in params can kill them if they arent doing good.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I still don't see the difference between adding a nem to a 2 month established system as opposed to a 6 month established system. What is happening in those 4 months, besides Pod poulation growing? I added my BTA at 2 months, researched it thouroughly and it is doing perfect. You yourself told me it looked good.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Again that is only your opinion.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

im not gonna argue with you guys, everybody has their way of going about things. especially with a person new to the hobby you can never be too safe. panfish you have experience, that is probably why it is doing good. but if its your first nem i wouldnt do it any earlier than 6 months preferably 10-12 months

11. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Dude, I added like 20+ corals to my tank and it's not even two months old yet. Nothing has died, and everything is growing. Im sure the two month mark is just fine as long as ghe params are stable. The nem looks ok to me. Just leave it be, try feeding it every once in a while, and maintain proper params. Well said Khowst.

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I know and read kinda where opinions like bvb's comes from. Tell me if I am wrong here, but again like Jason said its all opinion.

Part of it is tank maturity and part of it is reefer maturity.

Tank maturity you still have potential for LR die off, whatevers in the sand stuff like that that can rise to the surface and throw your param's off & cause problems.

I say reefer maturity cause early in (and we can all confess) most reefers first tanks have what I call 'hand and arm disease'. This is always sticking your hands int he tank, moving and touching stuff, and doing this can foster impurities, upset livestock, etc etc that can likewise cause sick or dead livestock that can again mess with water quality and livestock. With reefer maturity comes when you also know what to look for and can tell when something is off without a water test and can better care for bigger and better livestock.

Both of these still come back to what I initially said though. A solid reefer that does thier research and tank mantainence should have no problems with either of these. While your CuC is just as delicate they arent singlely as expensive as an anemone. It's easier to go 'oh well' when you see a dead snail than it is to go OH SH$$ when you see a dead anemone.