Is my Anemone dying????

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefinAnE, Oct 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Yep they are correct, but if you start to get algae growth, to turn them off a little earlier/off longer, Are you going to upgrade you lighting when you upgrade to a 40 gal? post a pic of your lights if you can... do they fit the 40gal?

OK, the Ambiem is kicking in...I'm going to bed. I'll be back later tomorrow afternoon, but I'm sure there are more qualified than me to help you with lighting. Geek is a good one for T5's all I know what not to buy(from experience).

I'm curious, what kind of water are you using for top offs and water changes?

have a great night see ya'll tomorrow!

4. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

5. IBMGeek

Ok see if you can see the bulbs name or model number. I know there 10,000k and true actinic but on the website it doesn't specify the brand(I imagine its coralife though). The reason I ask is because some company make better and brighter bulbs. Another questions is how tall is your tank? Does that fixture have one big reflector or each bulb has individual reflectors?

That mix looks fine to me for coral growth. I would suggest you upgrade your lighting for the future 40 gallon though (thats if you plan on keeping corals)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  6. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

oh yes for the 40 gallon we are going to have to buy complete new lighting anyhow this 24" would not fit. I'm not sure of the brand, but I will check and get back to you! Thanks again

7. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

okay I had my boyfriend check for me... it has one big reflector and you are correct the bulbs are coral life. What would you suggest if it is not strong enough? Oh, and our tank is 17" high.

8. Click Here!

9. IBMGeek

Anemones need strong lighting but if hes not happy where hes place he will move.I think for now it should be fine.T5s need individual reflectors in order to be efficient and direct most of the light down. Dont think its worth upgrading the light on the 20 gallon since your upgrading to a 40 gallon. When buying lights for the 40 gallon keep in mind the corals you want to keep. If you want to keep sps and other strong light demanding corals then youre going to have to get a powerful setup. Also look for individual reflectors in the fixture. Good brands are Ati,Icecap,Tek,Aquatnics.

10. IBMGeek

11. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

Thanks Geek! Well in the meantime we will have this 20 gal, we've even thought about keeping the 20 and the 40 when that time comes around, so do you think that we would need to get better lighting, we do plan on getting a crocea clam.. and corals in the future (but not any inparticular at this point) so honestly, do you think my lighting is sufficient enough for my anemone and a clam? Thanks for all the input.. it really is nice to be able to get advice from people who really know what they're talking about, because some LFS's are just looking to make a sale, if you know what I mean!

12. IBMGeek

Well im no expert,and have learned alot just like you guys by asking questions and reading alot, and I own T5s so I did a bit or research before I bought mines. Clams and anemones need extremely strong lighting. So I would not recommend keeping a clam in there. And the anemone might do fine but then again they require strong light so you might have to keep it at the top. If youre really serious about keeping clams and anemones and sps, then I would consider upgrading the fixture. You can keep less light demanding corals in the 20 such as mushrooms, and soft corals.