Is live sand enough to begin cycling a tank?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Fish_whipped, Jan 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fish_whipped

Fish_whipped Astrea Snail

Sorry it's been over a year since I have had my tank up and going and close to 3 since I cycled it.

Simple question. Is live sand enough to start the cycle? EstimAtion as to how long this will take? 3 weeks or more I am thinking...

Also I saw in a previous thread that people are saying to drain the tank and only use RODI water for the set up. I used tap before for the initial set up and then used RODI for the water changes and top off... Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Alec

Alec Astrea Snail

i am no expert but will try to help anyone feel free to help him further or tell me i'm wrolng.

live sand is enough but plan on a long cycle. you can also use a pice of shrimp to help start it. remember when you add your live rock it will cause an amonia spike again for any dead/decaying matter on them. If adding a lot of live rock cleen it well or it will be cycle again.

as for water they are going over that now in this post it looks like lol

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/help-needing-set-up-my-tank-151455.html

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Live sand will work at reducing your cycle time as it contains the nitrifying bacteria; add the dead shrimp and monitor your ammonia and nitrite.

If you have used tap before for the initial setup and cycle with no problems, then yes, you can do it again. Contrary to popular belief, not all tap water will instantly poison your tank; if your water is drinkable, it could take months or even years of continuous use to see any adverse effects.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

DO NOT RAISE THE AMMONIA ABOVE 3PPM.;)
    I use flake food to cycle. ;)

FWIW You can start/finish a cycle with nothing in the tank. Well besides water/salt.;D