*** is killing my fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ao72689, Feb 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976 Banned

One thing I have learned TRUST YOUR LOCAL REEFERS not your Local Fish Store. the lfs is out for one thing money. They dont care if your fish die, its means you are going to go back and buy more. I seen a LFS sell a Naso Tang to a girl for a 30 gallon tank. I met her outside and showed her on my phone where those fish need a min of 150-200 gallons. She was amazed and took the fish right back and the store had no reason. You local reefers will always be there to give you advise because we all deal with our tanks on a daily basis not when new stuff is shipping in or out.

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

AO72689- still waiting for that stocking list thread...:huh2:

4. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Yes i know, im still researching and will start a stock list to post this week. Quick question, can i add shrimp to clean some algae of my rock??

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

snails do best against algae, peppermint shrimp against apitasia.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

+1 you are going to want to purchase a CUC (clean up crew). I recommend reefcleaners.org. They will build a custom crew for your tank based on your specifications.

Other than peppermint shrimp (which eat aipstasia anemones- considered a pest), most shrimp are more for decorative purposes. Some will clean your fish of parasites, but it is a 50-50 chance they will actually take to the task.

7. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Just got a list from reefcleaners.

40 dwarf ceriths
    26 nassarius
    38 florida ceriths
    19 large nerite and 10 small-med nerite

Does that sound accurate??

8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

What size tank do you have and how heavy did you want your CUC to be?

Also, this should be a new thread, so that it doesn't keep showing as new posts in the ASAP section. Please just start a new thread with your latest post in the "New to Hobby" thread. Title it "AO72689 New Tank Set-up". That way everyone that has been responding can find it.