Is it Safe To Drink RO Water?? You'd be surprised..

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by clownfish, Feb 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If you were running the Ironman marathon every day and surviving on water alone you might have problems.
    The WHO has been trying to prove RO is bad for years but nothing conclusive has ever come out of their bogu reports, eating a potato chip or eating a grape negates any effects the water would have and throws the study into question.

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

What an informative thread,answered alot of my questions about what the big deal is on ro/di.thanks everyone ;)

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

http://www.squidoo.com/reverse-osmosis-water-truth-safe

Rain is not pure H2O, dust gets trapped in clouds swept up by the wind and is not from industrialization. It's a fallacy of this article to present that as fact.... and this was one of the first things listed... didn't make me want to buy into the rest of the article... however, there ARE some good points to be made.

ANOTHER skewed viewpoint is that water is constantly being recycled. Sure, it is, but at what cost? We have had on-going watering bans in my city for years. This is because water is scarce and when the water supplies get used up, they have to be replenished. Could you imagine the impact on our water supply if EVERY household used RO/DI water? I don't think it would be a good thing.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

So if you want to drink ro/di water over tap water because of taste, chloramine, chorine or any weird compounds that form in tap water from the sterilization process, then just add a few minerals back to nullify the electrolytic imbalance.

I reckon a pinch of table salt would do the trick.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  6. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

The RO unit I have for my drinking water has a final stage that re-mineralizes the water slightly. You get back just enough "taste" to the water without having to put up with the chemicals that are added at the treatment plant.

I use a Spectrapure RO/DI for my tank. My drinking water unit isn't made by them, but I think they sell something similar that remineralizes drinking water.

I'm not convinced of the ill effects of RO water (taken in moderation), but I'm not a fan on the taste when it is totally stripped of TDS.

7. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Check this out. CANCER ON TAP: THE RISKS OF CHLORINATED DRINKING WATER

8. Click Here!

9. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

10. whytepizza

whytepizza Plankton

How about the government?
    Why do we let the government dump chemicals into our water? - Yahoo! Answers

:eek: im only kidding of corse but this has been very informational. I live in New Jersey close to NYC and run into alot of health issues with drinking tap water. So, now the question, IMO, is how do we safely use RO water for drinking purposes? Alternatively, what can we add to RO water in order to make it safer for us in the long run.
    I jumped on this page because i have High Blood Pressure and my doctor has been telling me to drink something for sports other than tap water and gatorade. Since i do MMA i get depleted very quickly and then my pee turns all funky colors or yellow and smells like a McDonald's Egg and Cheese biscuit. (sorry for the depth of interest). That's how i know it;s not healthy for me. Drinking RO water seems to equalize it but i lose alot of 'stamina' when doing so. Getting tired faster, muscle aches, etc etc. I came to the conclusion it was the RO water.
    Usiing it in a SW tank is understandable. Not only understandable but essential to the tanks very fragile system. We are not so fragile, in a biological sense, when it comes to water (unless you drown in it, then you're just screwed). It takes years or months to realize the negative affects on a single human being and then we dont even realize what's causing it.
    Do you think using RO water and adding a small amount of tap is a good idea? I could call santa and ask him for a million year old iceberg with just the right vitamin and mineral content but Delta would charge too much for shipping.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Spectrapure manufactures remineralization cartridges much like a DI cartridge. Their original intent was to make coffee taste dynamite for all the major coffee houses we all frequent. Most all of them use Spectrapure equipment and the cartridges work well. These might add what you are needing, worth a call or email anyway.

12. omegaman

omegaman Plankton

I asked a biology professor this question and quoted some of the reasons people have said its not safe. She laughed out loud at the "strip minerals from the body" comment, and said what a load of rubbish. She said the purer the water the better and as soon as it hits your stomach its mixed. A persons body adapts very quickly to the fluids taken in, orange juice? coffee? milk?. Go ahead and drink poison tap water....it's like drinking from a swimming pool after drink RO water.