Is it possibly to put too much garlic on food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by oldfishkeeper, Jan 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

A small sailfin tang and small coral beauty. I don't have a quarantine....I give rod's food, mixed flakes, marine chips, small mysis, cyclopeeze, and formula one marine pellets. I've also put in some nori dipped in garlic....the sailfin has been nipping at the nori

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I am one of those people that do feel that garlic does increase immunity. With this being said, usually ich will pass as long as the critters are eating and the environment is stable. Ich isn't near as bad in saltwater as it is in FW.

4. oldfishkeeper

Yes, I'm not sure on how I feel about the immunity thing either, I'm primarily using it to stimulate the fish to eat and it does seem to help - when I don't use garlic, their feeding response is limited but adding the garlic does get them eating....I hope they pull through :(.....

I had a question for you Daniel, I know you mentioned about your mimic tang and possible cyanide.....is this still a practice happening? I thought that that form of collecting had decreased significantly over the past few years.....

5. cub4fun

cub4fun Plankton

We've had a few ich outbreaks in our tank, one where we lost everything except the clowns (who never seemed to have gotten it). Needless to say we were willing to try anything to keep our next group of fish. We have a blue hippo tang who would break out periodically, a sailfin, two clowns (who live in a protected bubble it seems) and a kole yellow eyed tang. If we see any signs of ich, we put a dabbler full of garlic extreme on their food. I'd honestly say that it helped them tremendously. Since doing that we haven't had any signs of ich in our tank. We will put it on the food if any of the fish seem stressed and it helps. We don't use it regularly but only in those situations.

6. oldfishkeeper

When you used in those situations, did you on continually use it (daily) until the fish appeared healthier or just sporadically?

7. cub4fun

cub4fun Plankton

When it was bad or they seemed really stressed, we used it on a daily basis. When it was dying down, we used it more sporadically. Now our fish seem just fine, I don't think we've used it in over a month- we had to when we added the kole tang to get him to chill output only needed it for a couple days.

I know this isn't the best philosophy, but after research and tearing our tank apart because of ich, I've decided it's almost impossible to have an ich free tank. I'd love to never have it but we lost too much trying to eradicate it. My goal now is to keep the fish happy and healthy by feeding them a good variety of food. Since taking on that approach, there haven't been any issues.

I hope this helps!