is it possible to have a fish only tank without live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by HSL0389, May 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Then make your own LR. Ppl do it all the time. Luna

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

There is no need for Live rock what so ever.. Especially in a fish only tank. First off after I read these strings about L/R and sand or DSB its so obvious that few even really know what it is they are buying and even less about what it is and what it does.. And at the risk of every thing I say being put under a microscope I'll post this for those who care and if you think I'm wrong Fine say so but I'll not re-ply ..

Live rock is bacteria rock with a supply of anaerobic bacteria living deep with in the rock its self and a few aerobic bacteria on the rock . It has nothing to do with the crap on the rock that will die anyways grasses mussels little aptasias and barnacles stuff like that who most feel adds more natural fauna to their systems be they good bad or ugly they stuff it in there tanks like its gold . I call it fools gold I don't want the pest in my systems .

But the main reason is for the anaerobic bacteria to supposedly handle the de-nitrification of the system , Pure and simple thats what its purpose is and it was used and had to be used in the pure Berlin systems of the 80's and 90's . Then those systems really depended more of the skimmers as was found out with time .

But many places had all this L/R laying around then they just changed the wording in their adds to include DSB and Plenum systems to add the needed bacterias for a right now to day instant reef or FOWLR system.. And its not ever needed Hell I have seen tanks with 300 lbs in a 100 system with DSB and NO3's where off the charts . Then L/R in a fish only I have never seen one not totally covered with green hair and moss alga's .. NO3 is a Fish tank will be so high no rock or skimmer in the world will keep them at bay.. You need to employ other methods for a F/O system.

Wit a reef and for sure on a F/O I'd never waste my money on L/R use simple dry cheap base rock and it will grow the bacteria just as fast and the L/R will regrow its dead bacteria. As it will mostly die off anyways ..

I myself have never used a L/R or sand or would I ever use it Total waste of money and time and can supply more problems then it supposedly cures .. God luck with what ever you attempt many here will keep you straight . But for my 2ct's L/R is a waste . I'd take that rock money and put a few rocks or branches of dead coral for decorations and put the money into a good pump and a set of Ocean Clear filters and a nitrate coil and a ozone generator for the best skimmer toy can afford and sump and be way ahead of the game.

4. HSL0389

HSL0389 Astrea Snail

well I'm going to go with your advice, mainly cause it's the easiest & cheapest way to go. I've got live sand and water straight from the ocean in my tank, that being said, what's the estimate on how long I'm going to have to cycle it?

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I actually have been maintaining a 30 hex for well over a year now with corals, fish and a Pacific Long Tentacle Anemone AND NO PROTEIN SKIMMER! Just live rock and live sand and the weekly water changes!!!!
    Very important to instill live sand and rock to yourt tank.
    I can also recall a couple times where I lost power for over 8 hours at a time, and I lost nothing, absolutely nothing thanks to live rock and sand especially!!!!

6. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

I have a fish only set-up and it has been running since January this year, and contains no live rock. I have three ornamental pieces, which help the fish hide in and looks great in my opinion. ( I too didn't want to spend the $$ at this time, especiall when just starting the hobby). But now that I am enjoying the hobby so much, when it comes to upgrading my system I will definetly add Live rock and corals.

To answer your question with cycling, the system has not suffered without the LR. I have Live Sand, Bio-Wheel Dry/Wet Filter, a sack of Pura Complete and a Skimmer, with all this in place my prams are correct. I enjoy my aquarium every day and so do my fish.;D

I vacuum and replace the water about 15% once a month, all that is required in my system.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  7. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

If u arent going to use live rock, what are u going to use as hiding spots etc? I would just buy what u can as far as live rock and just add as u go. Not many people can afford or feel sane dropping hundreds-thousands of dollars on rock anyway. I know i dont, i make a few trips...20 ,30 , 40 lbs here and there

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Try and find some dirt cheap base rock. Usually not much over a buck a pound. Heck, if you can find some really nasty, dirty rock for cheap buy it and nuke it yourself, usually the cheapest way to go. Pretty much what tangster said ;)

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor