is it possible to have a fish only tank without live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by HSL0389, May 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HSL0389

HSL0389 Astrea Snail

wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to live rock, or if live rock is entirely necessary for a fish only tank. And what would the difference in cycling time be without liverock versus with lr?

2. Click Here!

3. kylekin

kylekin Bristle Worm

some will say yes, some will say no... live rock not only gives decoration, hiding places, but acts as a natural filtration system.... i would put a few lbs in the tank, just enough for a few hiding spots

4. HSL0389

HSL0389 Astrea Snail

Thanks. That helps. One site said 1 lb per gallon was the minimum. Which would have meant 240 dollars just for my 30 gallon tank. The fish store near us sells lr for 8 bucks a pound. Would you suggest we just bite the bullet and buy from there, or shop around online?

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would shop around and find the lightest, most porous rock you can!
    Three advantages to this:
    !) cheaper due to lighter weight
    2)more rock fills up the tank for less money due to weight
    3)more crevices, holes etc. the more beneficial living organisms you can be assured of having living on and within your rock.
    I would definitely add some live rock to your fish only tank though to reduce stress to the fish and also to make the tank more realistic instead of having a barren tank or decorated with dead corals!

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Shop around, here in Miami, it sells for $5.99/lb. As for not having LR, I dont recommend it. Fish produce the most waste(bio Load) and LR is an awesome natural filter as mentioned by kylekin. It can be done, but requires alot of water changes and/or some other type of filtration. Luna

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I wouldn't pay $8 a pound, i would shop around online first. I've found websites where you can get 40lbs for $90. it's base rock and you'd have to cure it, but its dirt cheap. My lfs sells it for $4.99lb fully cured.

8. Click Here!

9. HSL0389

HSL0389 Astrea Snail

We've shopped around a lot on the web, but it's still going to cost some coin. Thanks for all the tips. It's been helpful.

10. botie

botie Feather Duster

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

you dont have to have liverock. The purpose of liverock is for decoration, hiding places and to help on filtration, but as far as a filtering goes, if liverock was so great we wouldnt need protein skimmers and other various things to help it filter.

On a 30g tank, I would find some kind of filter that has chemical, mechanical and biological filtration like a power filter. I would find a canister filter thats good for 120-150g tank and you would be set.

12. HSL0389

HSL0389 Astrea Snail

huh...well i already have a filter that does 350 gph, for like a 70 gallon. And it's an emperor "bio-wheel" so I've got the chem, mech, and bio filtration set. maybe just a few rocks will do. I really don't wanna dish out 8 dollars per lb for live rock at my lfs, but online distributers aren't going to let me buy 5 pounds...most have a 30 lb min. ugh...who thought rocks could be so complicated?