Is it possible to get coraline growth on the tank walls after only cycling 8 days?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Yuri Kapustin, Oct 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. Yuri Kapustin

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

5. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

sounds like you have alot of hw to do. you dont know what causes coraline to grow/thrive and sounds like you dont even understand the cycling process. put the lights on a timer and stay in school you will need a good job to pay for this hobby WHEN you make mistakes. is it just water in the protein skimmer collection cup? may just to be adjusted, if your tank is new you most likely dont need it. i still am not using one on my tank and its more than a year old, just do regular wc after the tank cycles. good luck.

also i didnt see the goby eat one piece of food! dont add anymore fish for a good while.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. Yuri Kapustin

It isnt a very big area, and its behind the rock. Thanks.
    I'm trying to understand more and more about cycling. Hopefully I dont make any mistakes.
    Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yuri Kapustin

The goby actually ate quite a bit and ive only fed the fish twice in almost 5/6 days. Some people on the forum recommended to keep the feeding down so i have been. Also, of course I have a lot of homework to do on cycling. I wouldnt be asking so many questions on here if I knew it all haha.
    Im almost done with my engineering degree and work full time. Im starting to see how much of time goes into this and I'm not even started yet haha. I cant wait!

To answer the protien skimmer question, i first had it set where no bubbles or foam collected in the cup. I pulled up the venturi tube slightly and foam slowly started coming up the collection pipe. I let it sit for a few hours, and the all of a sudden, the collection cup was filled with water and hardly any foam...

So i dont need to worry about collecting foam yet?

Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

protein skimmer wont do much for the first few months. run it once in a while and when you notice an increase in skimming effeciency then i would say run it all the time, if you would like. IMO

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Good vid dude. I like to see fish in action. K+

11. Yuri Kapustin

Thanks for the advice. I just have it running to help with the water circulation. I pushed the venturi tube all the way down.

On a side note, how much evaporation should I be seeing with my tank?
    It has a 10 gallon top ( its a 20g tall)
    I have no cover on it, and im noticing that every 2-3 days, i have to add at least 2 gallons of RO water to top it off. Luckily, with all this fluctuation, the ph and salt levels are staying the same.

Well, back to class...I have a professor that can hardly speak english and thinks that he can make teaching something like fluid dynamics a stand up comedy...

12. Yuri Kapustin

New update photos to the thread...

Check out the updated pics. Tank is still crystal clear without any spikes of param.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      121.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg