Is it possible to cure Ich w/o a QT tank?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by anpgp, Feb 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

you should be fine... just feed regularly. You can use melafix which is supposed to be reef safe, however it will make your skimmer go crazzzy!

really in a healthy tank there is no need to worry, it will go away on its own soon

2. Click Here!

3. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

The only way to get rid of Ich permanently is Cu or Hyposalinity treatments. Both must be done in a QT. If you want links how to use these treatments I can post them for you. Not all fish do Cu well just as not all fish do hypo well. A little research is needed. Of course while you are treating for Ich in the QT your DT must remain fallow for 6 weeks as well until the parasite has died from not having anything to host on. Every fish I ever had was run thru hypo before going into the DT and is fed Metrondiazole and Garlic with their food for good measure.

Yes QT is a pain in the butt. Ive never had ich on any fish to this point.
    Just my opinion. This has worked for me. QT can be rediculously simple. I use a file folder box from Office Depot...8 gallons. Small?...yes. Cruel?...maybe. It works.

[​IMG]

4. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

it doesn't have nutritional value but It contains cycloallicin that has got very strong antibiotic activity, hense why people eat garlic when feeling ill to fight it off. same for fish it will help fight the ICH and can also make it more able to resist infection

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

When my hippo got ich i saturated food with garlic and ran UV and micron sock 24/7. I also dusted my rock and stirred gravel twice daily to make sure any ich eggs (if thats what they are) remain in the water column and get caught or zapped by filter. But because the ich is not only on your one effected fish and is potentially everywhere in you tank you need to attend to your entire tank. What i did was as i dusted my LR and gravel i had a siphon connected to a power head-- connected to my UV that returned the water back to the tank so i could pinpoint my UV. i dont know how effective this was but ~1 year later and no deaths and no ich in sight.
    If you address the issue early i dont know if you really need to QT although it is the most effective means. but if you do QT 1 fish you should QT all as they are all potentially sick and you would also need the tank to go fallow for about 6 weeks. I never did this and all livestock is good.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for all the help guys, I decided to go the QT route but I don't think my b&w one will make it. I started this thread, My first bought of ich chronicles, to keep everyone updated.