Is it ok to have coral while fighitng GHA

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That's how it always starts. It's worth it when you get past it though. I don't know how but you can feel it just from looking at your tank afterward. You can tell your system is tested and stronger now.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

im really looking to the aterwards part, i really hate GHA

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Dont feel too bad, I still haven't added any fish to mine... Tank is ready for them but I got hit with replacing the heat pump in my rental property at the end of August and won't be able to add anything to my tank till I get that paid off! (next month)

In the mean time I have been working out a mild cyano breakout and using it to help me eliminate any dead spots in the tank circulation (which is where the cyano grows first)

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

wow that really sucks the thing that drove me crazy was staring at rock for forever. Where for how long you have been waiting, i can't even imagine the torture that your going through

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

There are things you can do to speed up the process, start removing as much GHA as you can every couple of days, the more algae you remove the more nitrates and phosphates you remove from the system. You could also look into running GFO. Those things will help speed up the process.

7. cira050

cira050 Torch Coral

2 words of advice. Get a phosphate reactor or at least a test, i guarantee you that your tank has them. next, wherever you get your ro from, ask them how old their membranes are and how frequently they change them and the tds of the water. Sounds like your importing phosphates from your water. But thats just me, we wont know until you get a phosphate test kit. Good luck

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

How's that skimmer doing? You will have algae outbreaks as the tank matures but a good skimmer will help keep it manageable. What color is your skimmate?

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'll ask them, next time i go if i remember :D i should be able to order new test kits next week. And the GHA is starting to go away, even though i still have some, but it's not as bad as it was when it first started so that's a good sign :D

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lately it's been a tea color, but just this week it has become darker, and i cleaned it just an hour ago, it was the darkest it's ever been, but not as dark as it should be. What's weird is inside the cylinder in the collection cup it's very dark and gunky, but the water in the collection cup is no where near as dark and only a little bit of water collects in there. Where i think it should be opposite, the water being chunky and very dark and inside the cylinder not as dark.

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

my tank is seven months old and i still have GHA it is short and hasnt moved onto anything but the one rock which it has always been on. i havent had cyano yet and hopefully never will. all my stuff seems happy too.