Is it ok to have coral while fighitng GHA

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

I know the feeling!

I started my tank over 10 months ago and thought everything was going good and really thought I was ready to have a beautiful tank like many of the members here (like Packleader). Then the cyno hit, arghh. I was about ready to hang it up.

After about a two month battle everything started falling in place, and most importantly the cyno went away.

I have just started stabilizing my parameters and feel that I am in the market for some corals. I am glad I waited because I feel I have a better handle on my system and a better chance of not killing some of natures great creatures!

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

haven't gotten any cyano yet but sounds like it's just as a pain as GHA is. 2 months is a long time, i'm hoping my GHA won't last that long

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

ye i had all those outbreaks my tank seems to have settled now but getting algae out of coral is a pita

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

agh i think i'll wait. Hopefully i'll be able to get some coral by christmas and get more than just one frag, that way they can hopefully be christmas presents

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

r u secretly asking me to buy u coral for Christmas?

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Most can count on little crop-ups of algae for the first year ;)
    That's not saying a year without corals. Just get the gist of it under control first.
    You'll have all sorts of issues starting out. It's what makes us better, more knowledgeable keepers! Just keep your chin up, and you'll be fine.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahahaha yes, yes i am :lol:

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

wow an entire year having algae! i really hope i can get it under control. It's not even that bad most is small patches on rocks, but one rock is about half covered in the algae, probably the worst out of all the other rocks

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That's only the tip of the ice berg.

IMO GHA is one of the nastiest bridges you are going to have to cross. It's second only to cyano which should hit a few more months down the road.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'm not looking forward to cyano, i've seen a few small patches pop up on the glass once in a while, but i just scrape it off, that's how the gha started, few small harmless patches, then it has taken over