Is it normal for stale water to get high ammonia levels??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rgoedhart, Jun 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rgoedhart

rgoedhart Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have (2) 44-gallon mixing barrels and stopped using one of them approximately 1-week ago.
    I emptied the barrel to the best of my ability but did not clean it, therefore approximately 1/2 cup of water was left in the barrel.

This water was RO/DI filtered water that was mixed to 1.026 salinity using reef crystals..

Today i lifted the bucket cover off and was welcomed with a terrible smell of ammonia.. I did some testing and tested very heavy (1-2) ammonia levels.. 0 nitrites - 0 nitrates..

is this normal? is this what happens if freshly mixed saltwater is left without filtration/heating/movement?

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

In my experience with rc, after a few days the water will actually start to cycle. I try to use a batch I make within a few days week at the latest. That's just what I've read and personal experience.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Mine are filled for weeks at a time.

5. diverdan

Renee, are you using rc? I've never had a bad situation just others experience and the crud on the bottom. I did have the situation where it smelled bad but I just discarded and made a new batch. Assumed it started to cycle.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It would seem that to have ammonia to that degree you also have to have some type of bacteria decaying?

Even a glass of water will eventually cycle, bacteria and fungus spores will find there way in especially in a non sterile container, but to have it happen so quickly hmmm.

I have left my water siting for over a week in an open container repeatedly and never had the experience you describe.

Only way to know for sure is to repeat the process and see what the result is.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If any type of organics get into the water and it lacks oxygen to support the development of bacteria, then yes, you can be stuck with a high ammonia content.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

I'm not sure what RC is.

10. diverdan

IO Reef Crystals.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I use RC as well, and always have 12 gallons on hand. But it is in a mixing container with a heater and a circulation pump. I keep it covered, but not air tight. I will throw my ammonia alert badge in there next time I think of it, but I certainly have never smelled ammonia. And I have had a batch mixing for up to 3 weeks.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Ah, sorry about that. No, I use IO plain.

I have 4 barrels altogether. Two outside in the elements and two inside the shed.

[​IMG]