Is it normal for coral frags to arrive completely browned out?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by justonwo, Sep 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I have seen differing views on this subject. I received a Hawkins Echinata that was completely brown (no color whatsoever) and most other frags I received were quite devoid in color.

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

That's how they were shipped my friend.

4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Should one complain to the dealer for that? Is the expectation that frags should arrive fully colored?

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

If the frags were wysiwyg and were much more colorful I'd be upset. A Lot of times they'll just frag you off a piece form the bottom of the coral which is usually shaded out. Even some companies like ORA and LA do this.

All I'm saying is that 99.99% of frags arrive in the colors they were cut as.

The dealer will sit and argue til the end of time that they cut a colorful piece and it lost color in the bag, which technically you cannot disprove. Look at reef corner's statement about shipping corals, they're actually honest about it which is why I love them. They straight up tell you that corals do not brown out during shipping.

6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I would take pics upon arrival to prove the condition and I would certainly bring it to the dealers attention.