Is it just me or does the Eshopps PF800 Suck?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Nvizn, Jun 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Thanks for the video. That's definitely the sound I'm hearing plus massive bubbling in the sump/refugium when the pump is turned above 50%. Are you having any of those problems (bubbling in the sump)? I'm going to try adding the tube to the top and/or swapping the PVC for rubber hose. Maybe once everything is in place in front and around the overflow, it will be reduced. Otherwise, it's trash unless you find flushing toilets to be soothing to the ear.

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

You aren't just hearing the overflow, but water flowing through your tubing as well. When the water reaches the water in the sump it splashes. This is normal. An easy way to fix this is to put a filter sock on the end of the hose in your sump. You will hear some gurgling with any overflow.

4. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Actually, both dump directly in and under water. So it's definitely not "splashing," it's air bubbles. I have a sock that I put together and will be applying to it as well.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The water hitting the water in the sump, even if you have the tube under the water will cause splashing in the sump. Shorten the tubing to be just below the surface of the water and add the sock.

Another option is to drill another hole into the overflow and do what this person did:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters-pumps-etc/modified-cpr-overflow-pics-89609.html#post907237

Running water makes noise no matter what you do.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

No it didn't just mysteriously appear. I put there. The box is adjusted high enough that no bubbles pull from the internal side. The bubble in the tube has not gotten any larger since day 1.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The only reason it seems that loud is that I had the camera about a foot above the boxes. Standing back away from the tanks you can't hear anything other than the water flowing into the sump but it's fairly quiet as well.
    I use 1" pvc for both drain lines. They are plumbed as straight to the sump as I could possibly get them.
    Yes I have air in the sump. That is unavoidable because the water will always pull air along with it as it travels down your piping. Like Xmetal said a filter sock will help alleviate most if not all of that problem. A bubble trap in the sump takes care of the rest so you don't get micro bubbles in the DT.

8. Click Here!

9. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Genius, this solved my problem! Thanks! A huge improvement. Now only to figure out the best way to eliminate any back siphon (PVC from the pump to the DT) in the scenario of a power outage. I drilled a hole in the rear of the PVC, just before it enters the water. But, this has created a good amount of air bubbles and noise in the DT. Any suggestions there?

10. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Here's a video on the change. Quite an improvement from where it began. I now need to figure out how to eliminate any back siphon without creating extra bubbles.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's a risky move to put an air bubble into your U Tube on purpose nearly 100% of the time. He still hasn't said why he did it, and why I'm wrong in saying "disaster waiting to happen". All that was given was a rude personal attack of "You know nothing" rather than "You know nothing. Here's why you're wrong: (reasons)".

I know you're going to say he gave the reason "It doesn't matter because there's low flow through the tube". Isn't that what causes 99% of problems with the U Tube overflows in the first place? Why does low flow exempt this particular overflow? What benefit does it provide? He says specifically that there's not enough flow to push it out in his own video; why is that not a big deal?

He still hasn't addressed the original issue (the one I brought up, not the OP) of why the bubble is there, only mentioned that he put it there, and why it won't be a disaster, which is silly IMO. If the bubble is there for a reason, and is the secret knowledge of the expert reefer, share the technique, and the reasoning behind it. That's what this, and any other, forum is all about, spreading knowledge. Unless the technique requires you to scale a mountain in the Himalayas, enter the secret temple, and defeat the dragonmonkey grandmaster of hydrodynamics to learn, of course; at that point, it's ok to keep it to yourself. ;D

I still have no idea what the reason is. You decided not to explain it, but rather to jump on the bandwagon of turning it into a personal thing rather than any sort of explanation. "Maybe he's right", you say. I never said he's not right! I expressed a concern based on the knowledge I have available to me. I would expect an explanation as to why that conclusion is incorrect, rather than an answer (or a few) that can be roughly translated to "Accept this, with no explanation as to why, as fact.".

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Firstly let me apologize to Nvizn for the thread jack. This all should have been done via profile or pm but there's no way I'm going to sit here and read a post quoting one member and attacking me. I'm sorry man and I'm happy you got the issue straightened out.

Now blackraven1425. Scroll back up and reread your post in response to mine. You expect anything less than my response? Maybe if you had asked how it worked I might have explained it to you. But you had nothing constructive to say, there's no concern you speak and were imo just taking a jackyl's jab in an attempt to prove me wrong. You never have anything constructive or helpful to say. It's always just these types of posts.
    A post by you made on my LED thread when I said I didn't have software to design my light therefore wouldn't be posting the diagrams:

Loved the membership card comment btw.

Heres another from my Monti growth thread. You even made the effort to quote me and highlight the two macros that should be easy to keep but die in my system.

Pretty positive there. IMO you were just taking the opp. to laugh at me which is by all means your right and no skin off my nose. But you didn't comment on the growth of the monti at all...hmm I wonder why I get the feeling I get about your motives.

This all goes way back to March when you first joined and I corrected you on some chemistry advice you'd given another new member. Ever since that day you have taken every opportunity available to prove me wrong.
    I'm no expert by any means but I'd be willing to bet I've forgotten more reefing knowledge gained through experience than you've yet to read about. My mentor has been keeping corals alive since the early seventies and I do pass my knowledge on, just not to you. I also don't advise people to do a lot of the things I do. I'm not a text book jockey afraid to push the envelope and explore new ways just because an "expert" says it won't work or someone wrote you shouldn't do it. In the beginning I was told by a lot of people just like you that a newbie would never be able to successfully keep a true mixed reef. I'm so glad I didn't listen and explored my own path even if it was paved by a man that has been doing this since I was on a tricycle.
    I read everything I can find on reef keeping but I don't read something and pass it along as fact. Experience is the teacher my friend and frankly it really bothers me that you are so free passing along information you have read and doing it in a manner that leads the reader to believe you have experienced it. You should write "I haven't done this myself but I read" or something along those lines. So is 99% of utube siphon failure from air bubbles coming from experience? Or is that something you read?
    The overflow in question is on my display fuge. Now surely you have read on Wiki or somewhere similar that water flowing through a fuge needs to be done at slower flow rates. Well I'm guessing my flow is around 150 gph maybe a little more, maybe less.
    The bubble in the U tube is there because it's there. The flow is so low thru the internal box that the siphon has enough pressure to push the bubble away from the air line but not enough to take it all the way out the end of the tube. I wasn't going to chase it up and down the Utube and get mouthful after mouth full of saltwater instead of air so I left it and decided to try another approach that bends the rules.
    Here's why it works. I have the internal box raised as high as it will go without allowing water over the rim of the aquarium. This puts the tube into the box to it's deepest possible point. The flow is so low the water falling into the skimmer box basically runs down the side and traps little to no air. Any bubbles that form inside of the box rise above the siphon before being pulled into the tube. I could post 100 10 minute long videos and you would never see a bubble travel up the tube from the internal side. Now if this was in my reef tank where the flow thru the box is at least 5-6x faster it would fail. The water falls into that skimmer box so fast and hard it wouldn't take long at all for more bubbles to make the big one large enough to stop siphon.
    How many times have I read threads that you troll debates, pick arguments, laugh at people and try to come off as just plain better than? And then when you get called out it's the same scenario and you flip the victim card. It's always "I was honestly trying to help and got attacked" or something similar. Give it a rest.