is it dead?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by kiarah, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi, I believe your LFS should have clarified and said the T8s are good for soft Corals, which they are. Now, one caveat to that is that your tank is deep so some softies may need to be moved up in the tank but T8s are fine. You need to purchase a Magnesium test kit separately. I use Salifert but sometimes they are hard to get (sell out a lot). When purchasing things on line my shopping comparison choices consist of; Marine Depot, That Fish Place, North Coast Pets and Drs. Foster and Smith. Like we discussed earlier about how young the tank is, your lights are fine, the Coral is in there, so just relax and enjoy the hobby!!

2. Click Here!

3. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Wait, I don't think enough information has been given to determine if the lighting is correct. Brand names, wattage, and color intensity and wavelength all matter. Most leathers do not require heavy lighting--your is not dead yet. You will know when it dies. However, it will need a specific amount of light so if you upgrade to t5's make sure Kelvin rating is correct (mine is doing great under 12000k) and that you don't put too much or too little light on it. Also, T8 lights will not penetrate the water as deeply as T5s or MHs, and they don't provide as much usable light (PAR rating). I suggest getting a good book or two and bring them with you to the LFS as reference. If you don't they will screw you over and over and over. That is what LFS's usually do.

Also, on the cycling point: Keep in mind that your tank will do a mini-cycle everytime you put new livestock in. And you don't want to add too much bacteria from a vial because if there are not enough nutrients to feed them they will die and cause anoxia and other probs in your system. At this point I would stop adding that stuff and let it all develop on its own from now on.

4. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

The bulbs are cleair own make, they have a website. Each tube it T-8 20 watt and i have 2x white 1 x bright 1x blue
    I added 5 snails today to help with the algae but im not going to add anything in the next 3 months at least
    Thanks K

5. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

If you are afraid your LFS would laugh in your face and tell you that you read to much i would suggest its time to switch stores. An as for the whole people have been using that stuff for years stuff improvements have been made for a reason.Honestly the LFS you go to in my opinion i think you should find a new one. IF they didnt take the time to ask you how your tank is or lightning or specs or how long you have been in the hobby they are also contributing to the life loss of livestock

6. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

if tank is cycled try some lugols dip formula (medecine for coral)

but it dosen't look good