is it dead?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by kiarah, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Great, thanks! will do the phosphate 2day it was 0.25 the past times i checked so i put a new rowaphos in the small filter, This might sound silly but i do not have a magnesium test in my kit so how do you test for it? Also my params are good at the mo but do i have to add anything to keep them there as i read you need to add additives? All ive been doing is water change ever 2nd sunday then adding a cap off cycle to help the good bacteria.
    Thanks again
    K:)

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Kiarah! I have discovered why you leather is dying - in another thread you state you have x4 T8's - these are no good for keeping coral and are only sufficient for FO systems.

4. kiarah

Yep i do only have 4 T-8 bulbs! both the shops in my area said that my t-8 are fine and that people have been keeping corals for years and that years ago they kept them under t-8 fine its just times have moved on and there are better lighting systems out now! God i really should not have listened to them, the leather i quite near the top now but im gogin to upgrade after christmas Thinking off gettin 6 x t-5 tubes as they are cheeper to run then MH do you think this would be a good idea?
    Thanks K:confused:

5. kiarah

Also its starting to make me angrey that the shops are telling people incorrect care info! Its not fair on the animals....is it legal?
    K

6. phoenixhieghts

Who knows about the legalities to it. But hand on my heart T8's are no good!

Were about in the UK are you? x6 T5's would be really good, altho it is my opinoin that unless you have an unusually wide tank you don't really need more then x4 T5's. I have seen many tanks with just x2 T5's with good growth! (i have to admit i am a T5 lover)

1 person likes this.
  7. kiarah

My tank is 3 foot wide by 30 inch deep and is abot 16-17 inches across to fit the lights in. I have a picture add here so you can see. im thinking about taking the t-8 out and buying the t-5 tubes 7 starters and gettin my husband to do the fitting bit (not very good a that bit!) so shall i go for 4 T-5 ? if so what colours and lenght should i go for?
    Im in suffolk, felxstowe.
    Thanks K

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It helps to do your homework before deciding on making another purchase as many pet shops out their in in business to make money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    If you are a frequent shopperof the particluar store and can develop a good repore with them or a particluar person/employee, it can make a big difference but do your homework! It will only make you better prepared and better apt to make the right decision instead of spending money foolishly or playing Russian Roulette with delicate livestock!
    Give your leather a chance...nitrates are the least toxic of the three(ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). Nitrates and leathers can be around 10-15 and be fine.

10. phoenixhieghts

Personally - and this is just my opinoin.

I would buy a 4 tube lumanaire. They can hang from the wall or the ceiling, and most you can even buy brackets so that the stand from the tank itself. there are many products out there - just have a look on ebay!
    This would be cheaper then buying serveral individual starters and having your husband build them in. Just what i would do tho :)

11. kiarah

I do do my homework but shops that insist your wrong and make you feel stupid and try there best to covince you its all ok! If i went backto the shop now and told them what you have all been saying about my lighting they would laught in my face and say i read to much! I think it wrong if the shops are selling things that are not sutible for the tank setup when they no im new to this! If a shop selling pet rabbits told you to keep it in a box and feed it meat, it would get shut down! ....All im trying to say is i really do think it wrong for a shop to put money before the correct care for the coralsand to lie about what they need!. As you all Know i am learning and people who are learning make mistakes and i think if the worsed mistake ive made is trusting my lfs to help me!
    K

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Kiarah,
    That is why it makes sense foor you to have a security blanket, so to speak, in all of us as your second family at 3reef!
    We can help you and anyone else make the right decisions, to afford you the best chances of success and not take valuable and delicate life for granted as is evident in our livestock! Why should an innocent animal be sacrificed just so a pet shop can make a dollar off of unsuspecting and beginner aquarists especially.
    They should take a different approach which in the long run will both benefit the customer and the store by giving honest, pertinent and correct advice and info to keep the customer coming back as a repeat customer-investing more money over time and also affording living animals a better chance in captivity and more enjoyment out of this rewarding hobby!!!