Is Chemistry my problem?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by suzique, Oct 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have heard many a horror story about people's tanks experiencing issues when switching salt brands.

I can't see anything in your latest tests that would cause death to an invert, fish or coral.
    Low ALK isn't going to kill anything.

2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

agreed :) no red flags going up from your parameters.

Just giving you some insight as to a round about way to find either alk, mag or calcium if you only have two out of the three test kits available. Keep in mind the math is just theory and like most math that is applied to real world situations...it is just a close estimation.

The tests that would pose the biggest issues to corals and/or inverts would be po4, and no3. Then the obvious nh3/nh4+ and no2.

4. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

Sue, I just use the dkH #--that's what is usually given and you don't have to do any math. It's the same as the # of drops you use and it should be between 8 and 12. I know that some people keep it higher, but this works for most things. To raise it you can use 1 teaspoon of baking soda per 50 gallons [ mix with tank water an add slowly] don't raise it too much at once.

5. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

GOOD GOD........Who are you? You just knocked me off my friggin chair!! ;D You must be a darn genius:p :dizzy: Wow, really, that really impresses me! I'm terrible with math. Thank you, I believe I might be low in magnesium. How do I increase that?

Sue

6. That Guy

You can just go to CVS or any local pharmacy/supermarket and pick up some epsom salt.

7. That Guy

I'm just That Guy :)

8. Click Here!

9. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

And.........?? Can you figure an amount for 47 gallons, math genius;D? I just luv that brain of yours!

Sue

10. That Guy

well there are other factors that come into play with real world situations that have effect om CaCO3 other than just magnesium and calcium. So that number is just an estimate... but you can add like 3 ounces of epsom salt a day for 6 days should bring you to around 1300 ppm. But i cant stress enough that the number i came up with is not exact!! so, its best to get a magnesium test kit and then figure out how much to add.
    Although i would like to know how close i am with that math haha!

11. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Not to be stealing "that guys" thunder...his equations are absolute..but....YOU NEED A GROUND PROBE. It is essential and not negotiable..under 5.00 and well worth it.
    It will eliminate future troubles....and take another question mark out of the trouble shooting process. : )
    With so many other things to worry about this is great piece of mind.
    If you have already purchased one...my bad...It looked like in your thread it had not been done yet. : )
    Good luck suzique
    LG

12. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

No one could steal "That Guys" thunder;) I'm completely dazzled!:stars: But yes, be assured, I WILL purchase a ground probe;D Thank you for your mentoring;D

Sue