Is Chemistry my problem?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by suzique, Oct 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

When an anenome starts drooping, becomes unable to attach and the base changes color, watch out. Is there anyway of getting that out of there into a QT for the time-being? It is worrying me. Whatever you do, don't let it die in your tank.

Your lighting is good, your params are not that bad. I am having difficulty with what you put down ITO ALK. A KH of 107ppm is (107/50)x2.8 = 5.992. Waaayyy too low. Should be at least 8. But right before that, you have dKH of 8.4, which is acceptable in the low range. I am confused. I need clarification on that. A dKH of 8.4 equals 150ppm.

Also, how are your inverts doing. If they are dying, I would look for a source of copper. More than once a kid has thrown a penny into a tank. It would not affect the fish.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

All good notes. Remember too, that a cucumber holds the exact same potential and danger that an anemone does. Everything for the anemone goes for the cucumber, too.
    Another thing to watch for with inverts is stray voltage. Are you running a ground probe to a varified ground?
    Also, JMO, your salinity is not too high. I keep mine higher than you do ;)

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yeah, your salinity is fine. I keep mine at 1.026. PL keeps his a few notches higher than that. I forgot about the stray voltage.

If (when) you get a ground probe, make sure it is the kind with three prongs (two of which are plastic) that you plug directly into the wall. Otherwise you may have to make some modifications for it to work properly.

So cucumbers "blow up" too......Man oh Man.

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I will suggest that when you post and are asking for help or for ideas, please include all basic information. Basic information should include; all water parameters(Calcium,Magnes ium,Alkalinity,Ph and Nitrate and Phosphate levels) along with Temp. of your tank and Sg (specific gravity).Size of tank and complete set up meaning, filter type (sump, canister etc.), if you use a skimmer,lighting (what type and total output)plus what type of lighting are you using and what is your lighting schedule (how long a period are your actinic and daylights on) and if you have fish only with live rock and if you keep corals. Also how long the tank has been up. I know some of this is in your bio but many bios don't contain this info. How many times has someone posted and then there is this list of postings addressing the above. If you give the most info you can to give us a good profile, it will cut down on response time and mis-diagnosis or answers that don't
    fit and we will all benefit.

6. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I do agree with the opinion of your salinity being 1.025 or greater, there isn't anything wrong but must soft corals will do a lot better at a lower salinity than 1.025ppm. where they
    can use the kh more efficiently

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm wondering why you have nitrites. Did anything in your tank die recently? Did you move rock around or mess with the sandbed at all?

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I was just looking at your signature......I see 2 Maxijet 1200s for flow. Assuming that is your only source of flow other than your skimmer, you should think about increasing. The MJ1200s do 295GPH each if memory serves. Your skimmer would be around 200 max I would guess. So in 46g your total flow is around 800GPH. I would be running around 2000GPH.

10. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Your lighting is good, your params are not that bad. I am having difficulty with what you put down ITO ALK. A KH of 107ppm is (107/50)x2.8 = 5.992. Waaayyy too low. Should be at least 8. But right before that, you have dKH of 8.4, which is acceptable in the low range. I am confused. I need clarification on that. A dKH of 8.4 equals 150ppm.

Also, how are your inverts doing. If they are dying, I would look for a source of copper. More than once a kid has thrown a penny into a tank. It would not affect the fish.[/QUOTE]

John........Thanks for your input! I also am confused about alot of things:confused: I am clueless about KH! Among other things:-[ I have the API KH test kit all it says is to count the drops and there is a conversion chart on the back. I only used 6 drops the chart reads dKH 6 ppm 107.4. I have read many posts you have made on the formula to convert ppm to dKH. You have the handle on that! Everything!! in my tank is doing awesome. The only thing I can think of is I fed the anemone a silverside, which it didn't eat. It was in the tank for about 4 hours. I don't have a ground probe. The plug in I use for everything is though, does that count, or should I still get one?

Sue

11. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Thanks Packleader......I understand about the cucumber and anemone and no I don't have a ground probe, but the outlet I use for power to everything is.

Sue

12. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Thank you UncleJed......I quess I forgot quite a few things:-[ My light schedule is MH from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM and Lunar lights from 8:00 PM to 10:00 AM. 300w? My temp runs 78-80. I will try to add all of this next time.

Sue