Is Carbon an SPS Coral Killer?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Matt Rogers, May 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 on that, althought my system isn't dominated by SPS, I do have some. I quit using carbon a few months ago and I have not seen any change what so ever. I was only running it for a week per month when I did run it. I have a lot of leather corals and am always worried about toxins released when they shed but as long as I keep up with my water changes and clean my skimmer regularly, I am good to go!

2. Click Here!

3. RickM

RickM Astrea Snail

2 liters is a lot of carbon. Ii have a same size system and use less that one fourth of that amount. That much carbon can definitely shock the system by things mentioned previously.

4. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I used Kent carbon before they decided it was a Recall, and lost everything in my tank almost

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I did a little experiment of my own, removed my carbon, and most of my SPS has colored up better, although a montipora capricornus has begun bleaching.

6. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I don't mean to attack the value of this sort of discussion, but I have to add my two cents. What's lacking here is any theory as to why carbon itself (the clarity discussion is clearly a testable theory) would be a danger to sps. Im not suggesti there isn't one possible, only that we aren't offering one.

I don't use carbon because I've never seen benefits. That said, at sps I'm a neophyte, so why trust me. The scientific method requires a testable hypothesis, testing of that hypothesis, and continuing confirmation of the theory. I think we're starting on the second part without getting to the first.

I'd really like to hear by what mechanism carbon is harming coral (and fish). Without that, even if it is and we have better tanks for never using it again, we lose out on all we could learn by knowing why.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Houston? I know that little 'ol town well!

I agree with your post. As I"m sure you'd agree that there are so many variables in testing a hypothesis such as this.
    To do a double blind study, constant variables on the control and test tank, etc., Makes my head spin.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Im not saying everyone should remove their carbon, and that it is a coral killer/fish killer etc etc, I'm just saying that my SPS has colored up more since i have removed my carbon.