Is Carbon an SPS Coral Killer?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Matt Rogers, May 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I hear what you are saying Greg and it's a solid point.
    That said - I do think Leng should get points for putting this out there for discussion though. How many would bury it? Much less make a video.

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

But does he sell GAC? I cannot find any for sale on his website?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't know G - but get your meaning now... I think.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

No one I know would cover it up. But than again, I don't run with your average hobbyists.

Take Rich Ross and Sanjay for example. Both have been upfront with every little issue they've had, with numerous articles and talks done on them.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

BTW, good too see you back on the boards. Your last message left me worried.

True, but they are not average they are on a whole different level as with many of the hobbyist that you know. Both are great guys who want to spread their knowledge of successes and failures to help other's succeed.

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Oh sure, I give him credit for that! I can't wait to see him in two weeks to challenge his conclusion though.

8. Click Here!

9. Jseymour

Jseymour Plankton

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'll admit I had problems with the methodology that Jay followed in his studies(first off, using unwashed carbon...), but to some degree I think they would still ring true. The biggest point being use carefully(but everything is like that right ;)). As I said, I don't use carbon anyways, but for different reasoning.

Thanks for the articles, they are very detailed. They don't really answer what carbon removes though, just a scientific way of determining what types to use, how to use it, and how much carbon to use to remove pigment based organics in an aquarium. I'm curious to see what the exact chemical composition is of various activated carbons(types and brands) direct from the container and after use in a control environment(with pure water to see how the air interacts, so I guess not really a control), along side various real aquaria use and NSW. What kinds of ions and molecules do they remove typically from marine aquaria and NSW and in what amounts? Then the other side, what do they leach? This would have to be quite a thorough experiment to have any value to me though. Sometimes it's easier to ask than answer...

10. Anemone King

Anemone King Astrea Snail

Wow crazy I us it in all of my tanks with no prob,

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I think the whole point of discussions like this is not to say what works or doesnt work because it will be different for everybody and every tank. There are way to many variables to control for a scientific experiment with aquariums. We need to strive to be able to provide the best conditions possible through research and discussion but what works for one will not for another, all it does if give us more tools to work with and more areas to explore if our tank develops a problem where we seek an answer

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

put my name down alongside the list of doubters

any change in water quality , even one designed to improve conditions, if done to fast, could and often does cause adverse reaction in the aquarium

been using carbon 24/7 / 365 for a couple of years or longer now
    and whilst like everyone else in the hobby, I do experience occasional problems with certain corals I do not believe I have ever considered carbon to be the root cause of any of those issues

I started with a fixed amount, change it every 4 weeks or so and replace with a similar amount
    it has always been there, thus the water quality has been relatively constant
    which IMO seems a better option to me, than bringing a large qty on board and making a very sudden change in the chemistry of the water

Steve