Is Carbon an SPS Coral Killer?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Matt Rogers, May 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

EDIT - Great post Jason! I think we were posting at the same time...

I think it's the amount involved. 2 liters, albeit on a 550, seems high to me.

Makes me think these have to be contributors.

But I still wonder - is there merit to what Leng is suggesting?
    Does carbon remove or substantially lower elements essential for coral growth?
    What elements does activated carbon lower?

It would be great to see some studies on this.

matt

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I stopped running Activated Carbon a couple months ago (I ran out and didn't want to place an order at BRS until I needed more)...My SPS have looked healthier since. Coloration has increased, and growth has been accelerated since the removal. I am not saying that the Carbon removal is the reason, just stating a coincidence.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great (1st) post. And good point about contamination. Welcome to 3reef Jason. k+

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Many WC experts refute what Jay published FWIW.

Here's a few more for you:

Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 1: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 2: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Sorry but this sounds like pure marketing to me. Does his "mud" not "continuously replenishes the mineral and trace element concentration in the aquarium, making this the most comprehensive filter medium available."?

Does he sell GAC? ;)

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This would be a rather unorthodox way of selling GAC Gresham. :)

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Its funny how controversial the use of carbon is. Exactly how much does it benefit a tank? how much harm can/does it cause? Seems like noone has an answer however I will say I stopped using it in my FW tanks years ago only used it was the SW tank because I figured the benefits were greater with coral warfare and nitrates

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Objectively speaking- I agree with this.

Welcome to 3Reef Jason.

Interestingly, I did put a bag of RO/DI rinsed 'ChemiPure' in a mesh bag in the bulk of the water flow in my sump today!

I think I'm going to use this one intermittently for now.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I don't think it marketing. We as hobbyists are always looking for soemthing outside out control for our failures. Do you really think Leng with all his experience would admit to a mistake. We as advanced reefers just don't want to admit it was our own dang fault. The longer we are in this hobby, the more we want to blame failures on something else. Remember when Zeovit was to blame for killing tanks, LED being blamed because corals were bleaching, GFO causing RTN in SPS, ...

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

As with most things in this hobby, it sounds like a case of too much too fast. Nothing good happens fast. People have done this with every method known to man. Even protien skimmers can wipe a tank if you haven't had one and you suddenly add a super powerful one and clean the tank too quickly.

GAC has downsides, GAC has upsides. GAC Upsides>Gac Downsides IMO. Most of us have lots of sps and still use gac responsibly and are very happy with the results.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Never been a big fan of carbon. At most I would do two weeks every two months. In my opinion carbon is something you use when something bad happens, toxic die off, chemical cross-contamination, etc....