Is biocube lighting enough?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by KDtrey5, Dec 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I currently have a 20 long with 1 mushroom, 1 frogspawn, 1 zoanthid colony, some flower polyps, and a green bubble tip anemone. I will be looking to get Sps later on but I would like to get a biocube 29 for a fresh start. Something were I could take my time on cycling and have much better filtration . Also micro bubbles drive me nuts. Does a coral life biocube 29 have good enough lights?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A BioCube with the standard PC lighting will keep the corals you mentioned alive as long as you change out the bulbs every 6 to 9 months.

A BioCube with the standard PC lighting is however not ideal if you want to start most SPS.

I have kept BTA with success under the standard PC lighting, all LPS also did well.

Pocillopora and Montipora grew and had good coloration. With the more difficult sps the PC lighting did not provide significant growth or pleasant coloration.

You will probably get responses suggesting a DIY LED systems, look to Rapid LED for kits designed to fit in a BioCube hood.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I agree with Corailline on this one and yes, I would look at an LED kit if you want to do SPS in that tank. With this being said, I envy those who are willing to take the time and put in the effort to grow sps in a tank that small. I just never had the patience to deal with the small water volume.