Is aluminum safe in saltwater?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by serotonin, Jul 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Aluminum is quite toxic in any aquatic environment. Even the very small amounts you get from phosphate removers like Phosguard, affect some corals, especially soft corals.

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
    Chemistry and the Aquarium

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

^ listen to Boomer ^

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

5. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

This is a continuing debate. There have been many threads on it. SeaChem is in their own words or RC is readdressing the issue based on tests done by Randy. Even one of my last post on the SeaChem forum on RC brought no response from them on this issue.

So called only recent reports of activated alumina causing problems is nonsense. It has been around for years and has only in recent years been attributed to activated alumina and even at normal dosages ( due to the internet). There are many people that have had problems with activated alumina at normal dosages and they are not dreaming, as some may want to suggest. There are also many that have not had problems. We are not to be saying or suggesting it is just SeaChem. IMHO the other brands, that use activated alumina, are worse. At least SeaChem is willing to respond and look at the issue in greater depth and is currently planning on doing some extensive testing on this issue. That is more than I can say for the rest.

Lastly, although both activated alumina (Al203) and GFO (Granular Ferric Oxides) both have problems, the advantages vs disadvantages are much more greatly in favor of GFO, especially the new GFO by Warner Marine. Its ability to remove PO4 is many times higher than any activated alumina or even other GFO. We have not seen any users of GFO complaining about problems with corals. Both GFO and activated alumina can cause Alk problems, especially when used in excess. Many reefers get on the kick "more is better', which is wrong when dealing with any of these.

It is obvious in this industry and quite common, when ever someone points to a product that has some issue with it or it has been pointed out, said company responses to defend themselves and their product. Often with so much hogwash. One of my issue in this hobby is there is no regulation or consumer protection. Companies can make any claims they want . Some companies are very self policing to consumers and do very well.

Case in point;

SeaChem vs. Thiel Aqautech many years ago. While running some tests on activated alumina under the name X-Phosphate, a Thiel product, I discovered it had great abilities at removing silica from water. When I informed Albert Thiel of this what he did was have it reground to a different size, same exact stuff, and then relabled it as X-Silicate. When I told Dr. Leo Morin, founder of SeaChem, all he did was change the wording on the container that it also removed silica....period.....that is it. You buy one container of SeaChem for PO4 & Si removal. Your buddy buys two containers, one of each, of Thiel X-Phosphate and X- Silicate. Who just ripped you off, SeaChem or Thiel:D

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I like SeaChem and used them for just about everthing. I used Phosguard and didn't have any problems. I had someone bring this issue up and i thought they were crazy. That being said like you said there is less issues with GFO and I switched. I at least like Seachem williness to respond with a fairily logically thought out answer.

7. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

I agree :D Thay make allot of good products. I have few issues with them.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006