is a saltwater really that hard..

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by futuregohangurl, Nov 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. futuregohangurl

futuregohangurl Plankton

k thanks

i will check them out more when i am ready.

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Not at all. Its not hard. What might be hard, is to grasp the understanding of what is going on in your tank. Understanding some broad science fields is a must, if you wish to truly give you tank the healthy success it truly desires. But it is not hard, it just requires some dedication both financially, as well as cognitively. (you have to use your brain in many, many ways)

There are pleeeeenty of people whom have been in your shoes my friend, I fall in that category. If you love you tank, and you learn to understand it, your love and success in this hobby will only grow in time. Its addicting, please don't say you havn't been worn!

PLEASE RESEARCH!!! Learn from other peoples mistakes/achievements on here. Theres plenty of knowledge floatin' round here.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Luckily clownfish are very hardy, blue tangs are kinda hardy, they get ich easily plus they need 180 gallon 6 x 2 x 2 tanks...
    IMO Salt isn't that hard if you do the proper research.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Try to not to be impulsive.

Impulse buys, moving too fast and not doing the research prior to purchase of equipment and more importantly live stock leads to loss of live stock, loss of money and disappointment.

6. futuregohangurl

futuregohangurl Plankton

ok thanks for the advice

i think i am still going to get freshwater first and then if i can keep them alive i will start a salt water tank down the road but i am going to start slowly as i dont make a whole bunch of money and i heard how much live rock costs.

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

You could always buy dry rock ;)

I'm not sure if owning freshwater tanks (fish only and planted) has made me more experienced with saltwater, besides the simple necessities (water tests, water changes, cleaning the tank, etc.)

As everyone else already said: Always make sure to do your research ;) I researched for about 6 months before I bought my tank to understand a lot of what I was getting myself into :)

8. Click Here!

9. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

i did the exact same thing... i went to petsmart for some dog food and other things and spur of the moment got a freshwater fish tank ( i did a little bit of research before but not much )

i love my freshwater tank but i wish i never got it... i have a 55 gallon (biggest one they had) and was proud till i found out all the fish i wanted were saltwater now i dream about making it a sump buy my wife is incredibly attached to the fish

either way you go you will be investing quite a bit of money but the question is is this amount worth it to me

in my opinion if you want a saltwater tank get a saltwater tank... otherwise you might end up regretting it and/or get stuck with something you don't want..

also to start up a tank is not that expensive now this is opinions here and i'm sure i will get bashed on for this but i have had my 46 gallon saltwater for almost two years and i don't have any sort of sump or refugium just live rock good water movement and a decent live sand bed... 2x a month water changes which is VERY VERY EASY

that's what most people are scared of is waterchanges but to be honest a 50 gallon tank... pull out 5 gallons put in 5 gallons once every two weeks or so ( pending what your water parameters are) takes me 10 minutes

good luck with your decision and don't be scared to get a saltwater tank

10. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I have friends over and this is the question I ALWAYS get, "is it hard to keep?". I always tell them if you enjoy it, then no its not. But is it easy? No. Expensive? Yes. Just keep in mind, you get way you pay for haha.

11. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

If you are a patient person I'd say go salty first. I chickened out when I started and now I have cichlids in a tank I would rather be using for saltwater. Not that I don't appreciate my freshie tank but it also isn't as fascinating to me. The hardest part of keeping a salt tank is making sure you never do anything quickly. Learning the soft touch can be difficult.

12. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

+1 on the dry rock though. I wish I'd known I could just buy dry rock when I first set up my tank. I just took the guy at the aquarium stores word that I needed live rock, and bought like 30 lbs for like 6 or 6.50 per lb. Awhile back I decided to add more rock. I looked on craigslist and the next day bought 20 lbs of great dry rock for $1.50 per lb -_- Definitely would've saved me a pretty penny!!