is a saltwater really that hard..

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by futuregohangurl, Nov 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. futuregohangurl

futuregohangurl Plankton

for a beginner to have? when i went to the petstore they told me if i was a beginner i should start with freshwater first. what do you guys think?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Never had a freshwater tank. you, in time will learn who to listen to and who not to.
    3Reef is a great source

4. futuregohangurl

futuregohangurl Plankton

5. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I just started with saltwater.....and never looked back! Just learn as much as you can before you start, go slow slow slow, and understand that some mishaps and failures are all just part of the learning curve. You won't regret it :)

6. futuregohangurl

futuregohangurl Plankton

ok thanks. i wonder why

i wonder why the girl at petland said to go with fresh water first. she said she had had a salt water tank first but she said a beginner should start with freshwater as its not such a big loss.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I started with freshwater. I can't say if it helped me or not. Are you thinking of a reef tank or just fish? As with any hobby, I would do what you want to do, otherwise you'll burn out.

The best advice I could give is to research before you buy. As was mentioned, this site is a good source.

8. Click Here!

9. futuregohangurl

futuregohangurl Plankton

hello

i would really like a salt water tank with clownfish. they are so cute to me. and i saw a beautiful fishtank at a pharmacy and it had lots of pretty live plants and two fish. a clown and a blue tang

10. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

Unless you have a decent budget to start with try freshwater first. See if it's something you want to stick with. A saltwater reef tank is a much bigger investment than a freshwater tank. Lights, skimmer, reactors, ro/di... All costly things that aren't necessary for a basic freshwater set up. A fish only saltwater tank is less demanding but I personally wouldn't recommend someone start with it if they've never had a tank before.

Good job to those who started with salt and were successful! Do it right the first time, don't try to cut corners, and as others have said READ, READ, READ :) Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  11. futuregohangurl

futuregohangurl Plankton

hmm

thats pretty much what the petland girl said to me. i may as well start a freshwater and see how that goes before i invest lots of money in a saltwater

12. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Saltwater is only as difficult as you want it to be,but research and alot of reading up on here can take you a long ways.Make sure to learn the nitrogen cycle before buying anything live,also researching what you are wanting to buy beforehand can save lots of frustration,money and livestock.Lots of good sticky's in the "new to the hobby" forum to help get you started.