Is 30 PPM, to high for Nitrates

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mizterfreeze, Aug 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mizterfreeze

mizterfreeze Plankton

Hello, I have a 110 Gallon, I got the tank from a friend, saved about 35 gallons, made the rest fresh salt. I have been battling brown algae for about 3 weeks, i have had the tank now for 5 weeks. I have cut down on the feedings and the lights, brown algae is minimal, however, i have noticed my nitrates are at30 ppm and holding..
    IIS THIS TOO HIGH. I have only a few small fish and 1 anemone...

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, I would take steps to get rid of those nitrates as soon as possible.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

How much Live rock do you have? What are the rest of the water parameters? Calcium, Alkalinity , ammonia, and nitrites? Temp and lighting?

I generally find, that when most of these numbers are in line, the algae will go away on its own....:)

5. mizterfreeze

mizterfreeze Plankton

My ammonia tested 0 and my nitites tested 0...as far as calcium, i havent got a test kit for it, although i do add purple up to the tank. My P.H. is around 8.3 and the temp is 76-78 and my lighting is minimal, i have a 24 inch and 48 inch setup, which is 65watts and 10,000k Daylight & 460 nm Actinic.
    I have around 65-75 lbs of the live rock.. My brown algae has decreased greatly. I did a water change (around 30 gallons worth) and the nitrates did not drop. I have a pwerhead in the tank that has a filter attachment and i have a large sump....
    I was thinking about placing some of that cheato macro algae in the sump...

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Sounds all OK then. Are you using RO/DI water? Some municipal waters have nitrates in them right from the faucet. Chaeto should help !:)

I would get both Calcium and Alkalinity test kits. How do you know if you are adding too much of the purple up? or not enough?

7. mizterfreeze

mizterfreeze Plankton

you are absolutley right. I do not not know if i am adding too much or too little. Is alk, the same as PH.? and yes i am going to get the test kit next for calcium, and tonite i am testing my water. I do not have any special filters as of yet, straight from the tap at this point....

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates as well? Alk is not the same as ph but it does affect ph.

10. mizterfreeze

mizterfreeze Plankton

no not yet, i am going to test them tonight and see. My ammonia levels as well as nitrites seem ok. when i first tested my tank, i went out and got 20 snails and 20 hermits, to add to the few i already had, thinking i needed a larger clean up crew, like i said, i have only had the tank for 5 weeks and its a work in progress. i do plan to get maybe 15 more snails and about 15 scarlet hermits and cuople of starfish and a cucumber, as far as a clean up crew is goes.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The water in your tank will test differently than the water from your tap so don't use the tank test results as a barometer for the quality of your tap water. That being said, it sounds like your tank is experiencing a mini-cycle which is normal when you move a tank. Your best bet at this point is to just let the tank finish cycling and invest in an r.o. unit.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I agree....5 weeks is well within cycling time. I would not add anything else until those nitrates go down, indicating a working nitrogen cycle;)