Inverts!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by salsera305, Feb 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. salsera305

salsera305 Plankton

Hey guys :-/,

I was wondering how many inverts I can keep in my ten gallon tank. I'm not even sure if it matters. And one more thing, are all snails good for the tank?

If you guys have a good website on snails I would appreciate it.

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome Yili!

You can keep a limited number of snails and hermit crabs in a 10 gallon mini provided there is sufficient algea for them to eat. Do you have a mini reef? Any information on your tank will greatly help us answer your questions.

Again welcome to 3reef!

4. salsera305

salsera305 Plankton

Here is the thing,

My husband insists in putting more snails and hermit crabs in the tank and I've been telling him that I'm scare they are going to die because there might not be enough food for all of them.

So, we do have a mini reef ;D. We have life rock, 3 mushrooms, 3 polyps (just small frags), 2 shrimps (a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp), and now we have about 10 or 11 baby blue leg hermit crabs, 10 turbo snails, 6 checkered nerites, 6 florida cerith snails, 2 unknown snails that went into the sand since we put them in the tank and we have not seen anymore and 1 unknown snail that my husband posted. I think that for a ten gallon tank that might be enough or too many but I'm not sure. ;)

Attached Files:

5. Craig Manoukian

You will definitely need to feed meaty food, aka frozen mysis, so your shrimp have enough to eat.  It is recommended two shrimp for each fifty gallons and if it was me I'd trade in the Peppermint for a credit toward a very small fish.

Your hermits and snails should be fine.  The sand dwelling snails are probably Nassarius and are great sand stirrers!

Good luck and keep us posted.

6. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Ok, but how do we catch the pep shrimp. I tried to bag him the other day and he was impossible to catch. Snapping his tail and zooming into caves in my LR. Any ideas?

7. Craig Manoukian

Let him swim into the LR and then take the rock out. Pour some fresh or soda water over the rock that you hold over a bucket of salt water. When it comes out of the rock it goes into the bucket and then to the LFS. HTH

8. Click Here!

9. salsera305

salsera305 Plankton

;)HI...,

The thing is that we have new corals that we put on that rock and they are just trying to get attached, wont they be harmed if we expose them to air? :eek: We also have three mushrooms that are attached to the rock. ::)

10. Craig Manoukian

Are you Mrs. Guzman?

Quick exposure to air will not harm them. Sponges are the organisms that cannot be exposed to air.