Inverts won't last 24 hours!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by MNK75G, Feb 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would not make it black and white. See where you stand on the copper level, sea water naturally has a small percentage of copper so account for that.

You are going to have to remove the source of the cooper and see what the level is and if it's still present and leaching from your LR.

It's not a deal breaker yet, so no sledge hammer.

2. Click Here!

3. NITTINID

NITTINID Astrea Snail

Snails must be extra sensitive on the east coast...lol...My heater in my 30gallon went out..the temp dropped slowly during the night...when I woke up..the temp was 70*f and all my snails were dead...things that make you go hmmm...

90 GALLON DISPLAY
    IN DISPLAY TANK;

180 LBS FIJI PREMIUM LIVE ROCK
    95 LBS LIVE SAND
    (2) 50 GPH POWERHEADS(CARBON STUFFED)
    (2) 1300 GPH POWER HEADS

LIGHTING IN DISPLAY;
    T5 NOVAS 48 INCH(6 BULB FIXTURES)
    48 INCH MARINLAND L.E.D REEF LIGHTING(18K)
    48 INCH (24) BLUE LED MOONLIGHT

30 GALLON SUMP
    IN SUMP;
    40 LBS LIVE SAND
    15 LBS FIJI PREMIUM LIVE ROCK.
    35 LBS REFUGIUM RUBBLE
    PHOSBAN REACTOR(150)
    10 WATT U.V STEROLIZER (DONT HAVE AN ICK PROB)BUT BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY
    CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER(120)
    (ELITE) 200 WATT HEATER
    (10)MANGROVES

LIGHTING ;
    IN SUMP
    30-90 WATT FLOOD LAMP

FISH
    SAILFIN TANG,YELLOW TANG,BLUE HIPPO TANG,DIAMOND WATCHMAN GOBY,SIZZORTAIL GOBY,BLUE DAMSEL(6) BLUE GREEN CHROMIS(4)ENGINEER GOBY

CORALS AND INVERTS
    BLUE RICORDEA,SEBAE ANENOME,DUNCAN POLYPS,BROWN BUTTON POLYPS,RED AND PURPLE MUSHROOMS COLONY(6) SKUNK SHRIMP (3) CAMEL SHRIMP(6)PEPPERMINT SHRIMP (8) MEXICAN TURBO SNAILS,(6)CERITH SNAILS,(4)ZEBRA SNAILS(5)RED LEGGED HERMIT CRABS,(5) BLUE LEGGED HERMIT CRABS,

IN SUMP;
    (2)GREEN EMERALD CRABS
    (5) BLUE LEGGED HERMIT CRABS
    (5) RED LEGGED HEMIT CRABS

TO tHoSe WhO rOcK...WiTh A fiLTeR sOcK.....
    >>>>>>> I SOLUTE YOU <<<<<<<<

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well yeah of course they died. A temperature that low is totally unnatural to them add that to the huge swing in temp.(almost 10 degrees)
    Snails live in intertidal areas which generally have swings in temperature and salinity however you are talking a huge swing not the one generally experienced from one healthy tank to another or that occurs naturally.;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Did he post his tank temp? I haven't really seen any tank parameters except sg and nitrate.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I don't think Vinny was referring to the OP. That being said when I get my CUC in the mail, they are probably around 70 or just south of there. All I do is float for a few minutes then drop them in. My last reefcleaners order I had maybe 4 shells left over out of 5 hundred?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I wasn't.But I digress.lol

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Yeah, seriously here, I think snails are a lot more resilient than most people think. Before I even knew about being careful about SG levels and drip acclimation, I would float the little guys and then let 'Em sink. I never lost a single invert due to acclimation. I'd loose em later from starvation, in which they paid for themselves by then.
    I think the issue with the OP's tank has been more than solved. Now, he has to solve the problem of removing the copper (or cooper, as the one poster typed several times in a single post;D:p ) from his system. I wouldn't quite throw in the towel right away. I've been told that using carbon in a filter sock (charcoal otherwise) will remove metals from a system. I'm no expert with your problem, but I refuse to believe that no one here has dealt with this. At worst you mat have to keep a fowlr tank while you filter out the copper. You mentioned 2 clowns, any other fish?

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

;D;)

To the original poster, as Corailline said, get the copper piece off, get some Cuprisorb, get a copper test kit, and see where you stand after some water changes and use of the Cuprisorb by using the test kit. I've read of people recovering from it but it usually takes time before you can add inverts again. Don't add any until your test shows no copper.