invert. questions

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by hottielover14, Jul 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I think you could keep it alive especially if you spot feed it. Each arm on the brittle can get 12 inches long.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

Each arm on the brittle can get 12 inches long. You mean in an aquarium or in the wild. What would you reccommend to get the brittle out. Would my brittle hurt clownfish or damsels. Would it hurt any corals or other inverts.

4. reefman_MC

It won't hurt corals. I'm not too sure about inverts. I think clowns would be pretty easy for the brittle to catch. They lay around in the anemone all night and if he runs an arm over them they're most likely goners. With the right amount of feeding each arm can get 12". Will he come towards your hand if you stick a piece of shrimp in there. Most of the time brittles come out to forage at night. So he will hide most of the day then come out to eat at night. So you will be better off trying to catch him at night when he's active. You will have to sucker him into a net with food. Make sure you don't get rid of him on my account. Do some research and be sure that's the step you want to take. He may never hurt a thing in your tank. It's just better to be cautious. If you do decide he's going, be sure he gets taken care of wherever he goes.

5. hottielover14

ok but what if i can't get him out.

6. reefman_MC

Your stuck with him I guess. If your sure you want to get rid of him try to catch him and if you can't you'll have to find out about making a trap which I know nothing about.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Get your brittle to to hide in a rock. Remove the rock and hold it over a bucket with some tank water. Pour tap water on the brittle, it wil extricate itself and fall into the salt water bucket unharmed. Bag it up and take it to the LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

10. hottielover14

yeah but then i would distrub my rock set up. I finally got it right.

11. hottielover14

if i pulled it out would it hurt it or would it pull a leg off.

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Damaging the brittle star is worse than a little rearranging of your rock work. A good reminder to not put anything in your tank without the proper research. Not a hobby conducive to impulse buys for sure, eh?