invert acclimation

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by emshofk, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

I am somewhat experienced at fish only aquarium keeping but am now embarking on my first reef tank. When introducing a fish i routinely fresh water dip them followed by a week in a quarantine tank with methaline blue and marycin so they are disease free when they go into my tank. Is there a safe way to do the same for inverts, anemonies, and corals?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Use an iodine dip, CoralRx or ReVive to remove unwanted pests. Drip acclimate to your water parameters after temp acclimation. Temp acclimation can be done at the same time as parameter acclimation.

1 person likes this.
  4. jmanis91

jmanis91 Astrea Snail

Some more sensative inverted like nems take longer to acllimate than others like hermits or snails.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

sounds like your first step with new fish is to maximize stress! :eek:

anyway, leaving that debate aside, for snails and hermits, I'd just float for temp and dump them in (not all inverts, just snails and hermits).

For coral, I used to drip but I've had much better luck just temp acclimating and putting them directly in. I do iodine dip my coral first though, then temp.

I'd recommend staying away from anemones entirely for now - these are advanced care critters.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

fish dip = well debated subject. I myself think float acclimate into the QT, then do dips, hypo, etc etc as needed. Let the livestock arrive & unwind before throwing more at them.

inverts (crabs and hermits) much like above I float them for temp, add about 1/2 - 1 cup of water every 15 min or so for about an hour, compare SG & if its close add them.

more higher priced inverts (like my mantis for example) and anemones, I did a full blown drip acclimate over the course of about 2-3 hours, comparing temps & SG all the while. I will also agree that anemones are more advanced & fragile creatures. While I can say I did add my first one about one - two months after my tank cycled, I also did about 6 months of reading and researching before adding one, and this tank isnt my first trip into the SW hobby.
    corals I float for temp, dip (just like above poster), then add.