Introducing you all to Tuck...

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by geekdafied, May 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

From what Im reading, you really need to have an outdoor pen to keep them and make them happy. I may just find out where Marc found it, and take it back. Im not a big fan of taking a wild critter and domesticating it, even though we do it all the time with fish and inverts. Turtles are a little different IMO. Alot more goes into to keeping them happy and healthy too.

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

id keep it, easy to care for and are fun to feed. I had a box turtle for about 15 years.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I hear ya Geeky. Not to mention the danger of salmonella poisoning?

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

To properly care for one isnt easy. When they are babies you can have them in a terrarium but once they to be about 4-5 yrs old, they need a outdoor pen. The outdoor is the best choice for them especially if its wild collected.

Isnt that a kind of dinosaur? hahaha

That is another risk with turtles.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

My oldest boy is lets see 1972 7374 75 76 78 79 80 90 90 2000 01 02 Wait gotta take my shoe and walking boot off 03 04 05 he is 36 yrs old ;D and he found his when he was like 13 or so last time I saw it rad was like huge LOL he kept it in the tank then in the summer he put it in a old large Dog crate I had less the bottom and I guess he still has it ? He can pass it on now :) his baby girl is a yr old.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Most likely will have a much better life with you than in wild at this time! Don't need a pen but they do need to go outside, I had one when I was a kid
    big old box, drilled a hole in the back corner of his shell (they don't feel it) and tied him to a stake in the yard so he couldn't get away. Gave him away to the Zoo in Denver when I couldn't keep him anymore.

As far as care goes, its not that hard, lots of greens, and vitamins, I bought a rabbit hutch and modified it when he got bigger to give him lots of room. Kept it in my room, he had a light and small pond for water and a ramp to get out and cruise my room. Had to make sure I picked up my sock though, used to like to shred them, didn;t eat them just dhredded them into small pieces! I had him for at least 15 years before changes in my lifestyle forced me to get rid of him (marriage has that effect!)

As far as I know, but I may be wrong on this that is not a concern with wild caught Turtles only store bought, They got it from some of the questionable foods that they are fed in captivity.