Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Turbo's Aquatics' started by Turbo's Aquatics, Sep 3, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

I got a few of the larger-version parts in, but I'm waiting on the rest of them. Here's a teaser though...

The L4/L8/L16 Growth Chamber is a modular design. It is a 2-part mold, a "bottom" part and a "side": 1 bottom + 2 sides = L4. 1 bottom + 4 sides = L8, etc

I'm testing out bonding & sealing methods so for now here are a few pics of everything dry-fitted together & held in place with blue painter's tape. It actually holds together pretty well on it's own but give it a good shake and it falls apart like a house of cards :p

L4 Growth Chamber

[​IMG]

L8 Growth Chamber

[​IMG]

L16 Growth Chamber (it's a monster)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the overlapping joint area: it's designed with "keys" so that it minimizes the stupid factor (on my part, as in "you didn't line that up when you bonded it, stupid!!") and plenty of overlap for a good seal and strong joint. I have yet to put it to the drop-test...

[​IMG]

Here's the Slot Pipe, there were some shrinkage/cracking issue with the samples but they have since resolved this

[​IMG]

Slot pipe & L16

[​IMG]

The Heat Sink End Caps for the L4/L8/L16 fixture turned out perfect.

[​IMG]

In case I didn't cover it, the ends of the Heat Sinks have a rail built in so that they can be slid together side-by-side. You can see them in this pic

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting on the 2 other major components: the Base and the J-Channels. These are also a modular design. The Base & J-Channels snap together, which means the whole system can be shipped as parts (more compact) and is easy to assemble (no bonding of the Base + J-Channels). Also, an L4 can be converted to an L8 by swapping parts (or to an L16, or L8 to L16)

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Turbo's Aquatics

UPDATE: L4, L8 and L16 are planned for release in Mid-July. This is pending verification of all final parts (should be done by 6/30/16).

>> CLICK HERE FOR PRICING AND WAITING LIST INFORMATION ON ALL SIZE UNITS <<

Introductory pricing offer for larger units will continue until JULY 15th! Just contact me to get on the waiting list!

To get on the list, open a support ticket by following the instructions here: Turbo's Aquatics - Ordering

^^ this is just as simple as sending me an email, which is listed on that page. You can provide your other information later if you want!

4. Turbo's Aquatics

I thoroughly bench-tested the Rev 4 L2 before rolling it out, and then I took care of my waitlist customers first before swapping out my own scrubber.

About 18 days ago I finally retired my trusty Rev 1 L2 and installed a Rev 4 L2 with a brand new mortar screen, unseeded. Just cleaned it tonight. Now excuse me while I break my arm patting myself on the back, but this is the fastest I've ever had a screen take off, and I've replaced the screen a few times on this tank. Looking back...I kinda wish I had put myself first in line. But, I had a functioning scrubber and a line of people doing without! Life keeps me pretty busy and this year had been no exception...probably my busiest time ever in my life, on all levels.

Anyways, here's my first cleaning - 4 parts, I just dumped it off my phone and uploaded it straight up so forgive the quality. I tend to take pics and video then never get around to uploading them, smh. Anyways, check out the growth!

1 of 4

The rest are uploading...watch for them on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_wpTyQPPr5r1mSKPkYgplQ I'll post them up tomorrow...

5. Turbo's Aquatics

6. Turbo's Aquatics

7. Turbo's Aquatics

All the parts for the larger units are FINALLY en route to me!

Now for something different - revised Support Rails! Previously I made these out of acrylic, by hand, to order. Kind of time-consuming. After a few rounds of attempts at an extruded bracket (one of which was an EPIC failure...) I came up with this design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is extruded PVC - the production version will be black. The original idea was to make this one part of a 2-piece bracket - the second piece being a 3/4" wide piece of 3/8" thick acrylic, slid through the hole, that could span over the top of a sump - and then the PVC part would serve as an I-beam underneath it and anyone could just cut it to fit between the inner edges of their sump rim. This can still be done, but it's actually not necessary...

All you need to do it cut off the "T" braces underneath and let the "tube" section extend over the lip of your sump. You can also notch a section out with a hacksaw or coping saw and have a section that overhangs the lip of your sump. Or, you can drill it and insert a thumbscrew, you can bond something to it, etc. Very versatile. If you wanted to secure your scrubber to these, you can drill a hole in the ABS Base of a Turbo Algae Scrubber, then drill a pilot hole in the Rail, and screw it right down to the rail with a standard screw (Stainless Steel recommended).

If you wanted extra strength, there is probably an aluminum extrusion or steel bar that could be slid into the hole as well.

But...they're pretty strong all by themselves...which was what I was going for!!

48" Rails, ~36" Span: 0 lb

[​IMG]

40 lb

[​IMG]

80 lb

[​IMG]

These will be available soon:

For up to 24" length Rails, $30 for a set of 2, shipped (with or without scrubber purchase)
    For between 24" and 36" length Rails, $40 for a set of 2, shipped (because it requires a larger and usually separate shipping tube)

I can ship these internationally as a stand-alone item, but the shipping is a killer...just FYI.

These will work for sure for the L2 and L4, very likely to work for the L8 (I need to test a few configurations still). They may not be stable enough for the L16 - I still need to thoroughly test this (the sample parts I have been working with are not 100% functional so I only have limited "data")

8. Click Here!

9. Turbo's Aquatics

At long last, my shipment of L4 / L8 / L16 parts finally arrived this morning!! (the injection parts)

I don't have any pictures as I had to jet in, check the parts, and jet back out.

Calendar is clear for the 3-day weekend. The first batch of units will ship on Tuesday!

Also, in case anyone will be at MACNA in San Diego next weekend, you will be able to see an L2, L4 and likely an L8 on display at the Synergy Reef Systems Booth #735!

Swisswiss likes this.
  10. Turbo's Aquatics

11. Turbo's Aquatics

Well.....I WANTED to ship a bunch of L4s and L8s this week...Dang where does the time go. Oh yeah...
    Monday, finish up one L4 to ship (done)

[​IMG]

L4 Mortar Screen

[​IMG]

Tuesday, wife at class, pick kid up from soccer, get dinner, mow lawn (with headlights on, in dark), take shower, crash
    Wednesday, early AM site inspection, drive 3 hours for a pre-bid walkthrough then 3 hours back, home at 8:30, eat, crash
    Today, get up at 5am and work on first L8 to ship, work, then probably some homecoming stuff (parade tonight), finish L8 for shipping tomorrow
    Tomorrow, pick up kid at soccer practice and take to football practice, then he will want to go to HC FB game I'm sure, night shot, so there'll be no squeezing another unit out by the FedEx cutoff.

Saturday, 9am soccer game, 10am FB pics, 11am FB game, the rest of the day is open
    Sunday looks open too...except for a frag swap (that I'm not in or running woo hoo)
    So it looks like the big shipping day will be Monday

More are indeed on the way, mostly built, but per the above...now shipped yet

Here are some growth chambers
    [​IMG]

L2 harvest recently
    [​IMG]

In "Upgrade and Fun New Goodies" news.....

Monogrammed 'Lil Chislers! These will be going out to all existing customers!
    [​IMG]

Also I have revised the End Cover Plates so that there are offset tabs that "grab" better
    [​IMG]
    The previous ones use Velcro to hold them in place, that was a temporary fix...this is the replacement, and these will be going out to all Rev 4 customers!

And lastly, I have revised the Drain Valve system! The new valve is not inside the drain pipe, so you can make a mistake cutting the pipe and not be hosed. It is also possible to configure this valve so that it can be adjusted remotely; meaning, if you don't have access under the scrubber to adjust the valve after it's installed, this solves your problem! It's also more effective (some had issues with the original one). Also, as some of you have discovered, the nylon thumbscrew swells up a bit over time and binds inside the threaded hole in the PVC drain pipe...rendering it stuck in position, and thus, useless. So, that's gone also (the thumbscrew)

Busy busy...