Interesting Article

Discussion in 'Salt' started by SpngBob, Nov 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

This is a quote from Sea Scape.

1) most synthetic sea salts do not have high levels of
    many trace elements,
    2) natural seawater is not automatically a safe
    alternative to synthetic sea salts when it comes to
    comparing amounts of trace elements in the two
    solutions,
    3) past comparisons of synthetic sea salts to natural
    seawater are flawed because they compared
    synthetic sea salts to a hypothetical natural seawater
    that is not available to the majority of marine
    hobbyists, and
    4) synthetic sea salts are quite acceptable for long-term
    use in marine aquaria when considered from the
    viewpoint of not adding detrimental concentrations
    of trace elements to the system.

Basically, it's saying that nsw or synthetic saltwater can pose a threat(?) to our tank inhabitants due to pollutants or low/lack of trace elements. Any thoughts on this?

phil

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I guess, so can the air we breathe!

It is difficult to really assess any of these "tests"....as laypersons. The table of periodic elements left my brain when I graduated high school no longer had to pass a test with questions from it! LOL!!!

There are over 70 trace elements, and we don't know what benefit probably 90% of them have!! So with a few exceptions, such as the trace elements known to be beneficial Ca, Iodine, buffering minerals, strontium and the like), and the trace ones known to be detrimental (too much iron, chlorines, metals, etc) what can we really learn from all these tests and comparisons as they relate to the health of our aquarium inhabitants?

What is 'hypothetical' seawater anyway? Hasn't anyone taken actual samples from reef areas to compare these salts? I would imagine synthetic seawater as close as possible to an actual sample of natural seawater would be the ideal . Then let the aquarist adjust certain parameter as they wish...FO probably would not adjust much, but a tank rich in SPS corals would want to adjust quite a bit.

Just my thoughts, sorry to ramble on so..... ;D

4. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I just wanted to point out a couple things about the article [glow=red,2,300]Spngbob[/glow] posted. First off is that this article was written in 2000 so if is almost 5 years old. This can be very inaccurate as all these manufactures are constantly tweaking. Our salts evolve as new technologies and discoveries come about. Second, this article is copyrighted by Aqua Craft the maker of Marine Environment. This is just a bloated Advertisement in my opinion.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Like STF said, thats a link to Aquacraft's website and article ;) The maker of said salt.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

And what entity authors SeaScope?