instant ocean, good or bad salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by powerpoint, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Ask a hundred people and you will get a hundred different answers. ;)
    I have been using it for over a year with no ill effects.
    I'm sure someone can come up with a horror story..
    Jim

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I agree with Diver. Every one has there own stories and preferences about salt. I've used IO, Kent, Reef Crystals and Oceanic and haven't noticed any difference. I use Reef Crystals for my reef tank and Oceanic for my FOWLR because its cheap. The bottom line is that they all work.8)

4. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

Just wondering, have you guys ever tested the cal in your made up water? If so, what are your readings, I could have a bad test kit, well actually two. I have been dosing the main tank everyday trying to get it up from 340 which is why I ended up testing my makeup water. I started out using tap water and my cal was very high but since switched over to ro "with cal added for flavor" the culligan man says, so never really expected it to be a problem. Thats what i get for thinkin huh?

5. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Don't give up yet. If your coral are not stress and everything is doing fine, just find a salt that you will be happy with.

6. Black_Raven

Calcium will vary from among the various salt brands and even among different lots in the same brand.

What are your other water parameters such as alkalinity and magnesium as well as pH? These all affect calcium levels. If your alkalinity is too high you can precipitate out calcium. Are you going through a coralline algae bloom? This will also eat up calcium.

7. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Lfs?

I have no idea if this is accurate but my lfs told me IO and Kent are made in the same place just packaged differently?? :confused: From the test results I've read here I can't see how that is possible?? I use IO.:)

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I've used Oceanic since I started, 0 problems. I ocassionally use it to raise the salt level.

10. Black_Raven

I believe that Kent, IO and OC are made by the same company but probably have different formulations. If you check out the Kent Marine web site you will see Oceanic advertised.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

They all are owned by the same parent company ;)

12. RachelDex

RachelDex Astrea Snail