"Instant" cycling

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by LCP136, Dec 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I have heard about "Instant" cycling products like bio-spira (which I know works, but isn't quite instant). Has anyone experienced an instant cycle? What are your thoughts on how to speed a cycle? I am about to start a 36 and I am planning on using some live rock and sand from my 90 and use about 15-20 gallons from my reef and I am going to use Bio-Spira, but, being impatient I would like to know how to make cycling as quick as possible(Don't worry, I would never let impatience put an animal at risk.)

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

take live rock from your other tank fastest way , i don't trust the "instant" products

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I actually do trust the "instant" products. I have had good experiences with them in both fresh and saltwater. Bio spira made my reef cycle very quickly.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

From the way you are wanting to rush things already I would stear clear of this hobby. You are only going to bring on many problems and blow a bunch of $$$$$$

Posted via Mobile Device:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320

1 person likes this.
  6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

cycling is basically getting the rock accustomed to the amount of tank water instead of the amount of ocean water. why cycle something that has already cycled?

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i see alot of bad review about bio spira. i don't think the bacteria in it is as hardy as they claim, and alot dies in shipping. reefplayground say that biospira uses the same strain as stability and a bunch of others so there not much variety.

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

The best way to get the shortest cycle is to use things that have already cycled, essentially a "move" and a mini cycle instead of a full cure and full cycle.

That's what we did with our 46 when we set it up. All of the live rock was pre cured, pre cycled, from the LFS. We used LFS water when setting up. The only thing dead was in the live sand we bought, and it was actually pretty fresh. We let everything sit for the first week, then added 2 small clowns and an entire bottle of nitrifying bacteria to make sure it was safe enough for the clowns (LFS recommendation) and the cycle was 95 - 100% complete by the end of week two. I say this because our ammonia test was screwed up, and we didn't buy and test with a new test kit until the third week. Which confirmed 0 ammonia and nitrite. Our bum test always read .25 ppm and still does, but we tested with two other tests and both were zero and remain that way. So it was iffy on when the cycle was actually complete...but it looks like you are going at it the right way.

To get the fastest cycle, I would use rock, sand, and water from your already established tank. Which is what you are planning on already. If possible, I would fill the 36 up with all water from your main tank, but you can portion that out, it should be fine. If you do that, your cycle will be similar to mine (no cycles are the same however) and I would add a fish after one week, but it might be iffy. It depends on what results you would be getting.

You will have a mini cycle at best. 1-2 weeks long.

10. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I had only a 2 week or so cycle(which was actually done sooner but i was too nervous to put anything in yet). I used pre-cured LR, some live sand(actually CC.. gr), and a product called "Right Now! bacteria" I guess it worked, I had a very short cycle and no problems from it.

11. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

fastest cycle would be live rock and live sand and also you could add a little piece of frozen shrimp to also help out

12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I don't think that this is putting it quite right. While I admit that patience is not my strongest suit, I am able to control myself. I used bio spira, had a very quick cycle, and used cycle shortening methods on my reef, and there have been no problems and no blown money. All I can go on with bio spira is my experience which is very good. I understand the methods of shortening a cycle, I was just wondering about your ideas to get other views and experiences.