Installed my Dosing Pump Today!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Todd_Sails, Sep 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thus far, the only controller I have is a Finnex Temp controller.
    I have been Dripping Kalwasser, and/or manually dosing for years!
    I decided it was time to try a dosing pump. After my years of hap hazard research,
    I picked up a New Jebao 4 head dosing pump with controller- for $75!- shipped!

Went to Menards and got a 50' x 1/4" OD line and rigged it up.
    I did Bake the Baking soda- recommended. (That's funny right there- Baking the Baking Soda!)
    I used old 5 gallon buckets for the Ca and Alk (BRS CaCl and Baking Soda)- about 2 cups of each in 2gallons RO/DI- seems to stay in suspension- which is important for me- no stirrer, etc.
    I used an old gallon jug from my BRS MgCl for my Mg mixture- 2 cups of MgCl, and 1&1/3 cup Epson Salts(MgSo4) in the RO/DI gallon.

I calibrated all 4 heads, only using 3 however atm.

Then I set the controllers for the 3 heads I'm using- using the directions I got off of the Champion Lighting and Supply Website-read about that reading the reviews of the doser online. I didn't buy from them.
    It's pretty cool, you set the head, times per month, times per day, and the amount at each dosing also.

Now, I have to start testing params every few days and making adjustments.
    For years, I don't test much and just dripped the same amount of Kalwasser- and pretty much all was well.
    Unless I need to catch up- no more Kalwasser dripping! In order to use dosing pumps with Kalwasser on my system- in order to mix it where it wouldn't precipitate out- I'd have to dose about 2 gallons a day. While I do evaporate that much or more a day- I don't want to mix a 50g drum of it, and/or mix it daily- defeats the dosing pump thingy all together.

This new dosing pump- my Algae Turf Scrubber working well- my system hasn't been much better!

PS- I've actually been really down and depressed lately-and while I'm amazed I got this hooked up today,
    I DIDN'T take any pictures of anything.
    While I've done some borderline amazing things in my life, accomplished some incredible things;
    for the most part,
    Life pretty much sucks, then you die.

Swisswiss likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hang in there bud, your corals need you and we need your experience and wisdom

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Reefbuilder likes this.
  4. Swisswiss

also let me know more details how the dosing pump works out for you. im thinking of getting the dp6 by jebao

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I read reviews on the 4 head one, and most all seemed good, especially for the price.
    When I set it up, all 4 heads worked on the manual mode and I calibrated them all.
    I don't know when I'll be around to see if the programmed dosings are working or not.
    I trust they will and plan to test params every 3 days for awhile to see if my initial settings are good enough or not.
    I"m trying to 'hang in there'. My mind is making life very tough for me recently.

6. Swisswiss

she always does :s. when i seem to have a hard time controlling my thought i go off and immerse myself in nature, either with a fly fishing camping trip or just sitting under a big old tree (i know its very hippyish of me but hey it works...) what works best is a beach and a sunset, nothing tops that for me.... dont want to be invasive though as i know the feeling but try to enjoy the smaller simpler things of life?....

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Hang in there my friend.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Tested my big 3 tonight, and made some doser adjustments.
    Testing again in 3 days, etc. for awhile until it's dialed in.

So far I really like it, easy to adjust, multiple settings, etc.

Swisswiss likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

congrats on the dosing pump Todd! I hope things work out and you are feeling better soon.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow Va, where did you dig up that thread, excellent info.

Mine installed fine, primed fine, and is pumping fine.
    No siphoning issues- no check valves.

I had seem something about what the post discussed- I hadn't seen that thread.
    When mine worked fine- even the MacGyver in me- a strong force in me btw-
    didn't take it apart!

I wanted to post today thsat on day 4- my Alk, etc. is stable.
    As you know- the alk is the most unstable, especially in a large system with what I think are a lot of large sps colonies.
    I haven't dripped Kalwasser now in 4 days- and my Alk was stable between 7 and 8 - good for my system and where it's een for years dripping alk.
    Thus- I know it's working. Kalwasser may just finally be a thing of the past for me.
    If it wouldn't precipitate out at such low quantities- I"d use it in my dosing pump too!- But I would be pump way more volume and the unsuperstaurated levels of Kalwasser in RO water that that is now worth it. Good ol baking soda- stays saturated at higher concentrations- thus less voume of it pumped in each day.

I currently have the Ca, and Alk heads pumping 4 times a day, various volumes;
    and the Mg 4 times a month.

I got Jebeo DP4 (4 head pump with controller), for $75 shipped- so far- way worth it!
    I wish I'd have done this sooner.
    I'm still, and just might always be Apexless