Input on chemi-pure elite

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lillys Grandad, Jul 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

what about adding chemi-pure Elite filter medium into my filter....Keep in mind 30 gallon tank with hanging filter.
    thanx again.:-/

2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I use chemipure, not the elite, but love it. I am sure that it is even better. My lfs carries both and said that the normal is just as good and half the price.

1 person likes this.
  4. lillys Grandad

Thats good to know....18.00 bucks a pop here for the elite.
    Your tank looks great!! INSANE is more like it
    Karma baby !!

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Well, they do some different things.

Chemi-Pure is basically Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) mixed with Ion Exchange Resins (IER). The IER's will work awesome for a freshwater tank and barely do anything in SW.

The Chemi-Pure Elite basically adds Iron-Oxide to remove phosphates so in the end, you have GAC, a phosphate remover, and an IER that doesn't really function in SW.

You are better off with a quality GAC like Black Diamond or Matrix and a resin that actually works in saltwater too like Purigen. If you need phosphate removal, there are many quality ones as well.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Chemi-pure......I'm just saying it's quite expensive for what you get in a saltwater environment.....it's just best used for freshwater.

6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

My gf has a 10 gallon tank that we added a half unit of the chemi pure elite to a aqua clear 30 and while the algae and phosphates arent zero is has helped and btw it is saltwater. If i have time later ill post some pix. Oh and if u get a few things to get and make it worthwhile for shipping (which is what we did) u can get it for a half of what your lfs is charging.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Great info Curt!

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

cool...thanx for all the input.
    I have been using the black diomond since tank was born....Like they say..If it works...dont fix it. : )
    Thanx again.