Innovative Marine 4 Gallon Pico

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by inwall75, Jan 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I replaced the standard return nozzle with their Spin Stream. As I predicted, this upgrade SUBSTANTIALLY improves the flow. Innovative Marine

I sell all of their different sizes of aquariums and I think this is a great upgrade. It comes with adaptors for other brands of aquariums. Next weekend, I think I'm going to buy one for the 29g Biocube I like this product so much. Part of my preventative maintenance on my pumps is to periodically run them in a bucket of vinegar to dissolve Calcium deposits. I think I'll soak this too to make sure it doesn't seize up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajs5T8N1Nlo&feature=related

2. Click Here!

3. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This is the exact tank my wife was wanting for her dwarf seahorse tank I am to build. Would anyone have comments or suggestions about doing this?

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think it would be fine for dwarves because it's tall as opposed to wide (which is what they like). They like their water a little cooler so I would place it someplace where it doesn't get a lot of sunshine from the windows. Because they are such poor swimmers and miss half of their food, I would add a little filter floss on top of the sponge and throw it away every day after feeding so that the brine shrimp doesn't get stuck in the sponge.

Because of the small size of the tank, I wouldn't put one of those hatch and feed units in there.....would be bulky and ugly. As a result, you'll need to hatch them elsewhere. Also because of the small size, things can go South VERY QUICK. I would DEFINITELY hide one of these in there. Seachem. Ammonia Alert I would also keep a thermometer in there 24/7 so that you can make sure the water doesn't get too hot for the seahorses. You can store your top-off water in the basement so that when you top off, it will be slightly cooler water. (For mine, I just use an orange juice plastic bottle that was cleaned real well).

I don't know about where you live. However, since we are a direct distributor, the 8 gallon is only $50 {EDIT: more} and that would definitely give you a LOT more leeway with temperature, salinity swings, and nitrate levels. The room mine is in gets warm in the afternoon in the summer. I've already planned that out. I already have gel cold packs for sinus relief. They are small, sealed, and re-usable. Just cool off the tank and throw it back in the fridge.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great review Curt, the info on the pumps and lights is extremely important. Great looking animals.

6. jcoreyblack

Thanks for all the info. I like your idea of the 8 for my situation.

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i would definitely do the 4 gallon in the 8 gallon you would lose your horses, thats just how small they are. also im thinking the return pump would have a little too much flow for the little guys. so you would have to mod it a bit.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jcoreyblack

So your saying the 4 over the 8? I did figure I would have to do some modes to keep them from getting to much water movement and maybe a prefilter sponge incase they get caught..

10. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

yeah those little guys are very clumsy, if they can get stuck they will in time and dont you doubt it haha. a prefilter sponge is a great idea. and yes definitely 4 over the 8, eight is a little big but you ownt know what im talking about until you get your hands on these guys, i sell all mine in 1-2.5 gallon tanks and i still have trouble finding them at times.

11. jcoreyblack

Thanks again for the info. Ive been following your other thread on your seahorse tanks. After i have built up enough sw experiance I'll be making the seahorse plunge for my wife.

1 person likes this.