Info about sumps

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by GuitarMan89, Dec 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

That is awesome if you get a trouble free siphon the way you do. I have seen some OF systems that get broken siphons and the OF stops draining due to an airpocket in the U-tube. It may be a case of too much water entering the OF chamber and it causing turbulent bubbles that breaks the siphon. I try to error on the side of too much caution and cover every base of every bad scenario. Looks like you have done that in your system. Since each system is different, every solution is different as well. Your's works for you and that's all that matters. :)

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

That's what we have, you copycat! ;D I like it. Got a hole in the side just above the nozzle to make sure not alot of water gets sucked back into the sump in a back siphon...makes an "interesting" slurping sound...and the flare nozzle really helps keep my surface water moving. Makes the current go in a circle too.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Where did you guys get that nozzle from?

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Anywhere, but try www.marinedepot.com Luna

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I used the same one John - works nicely. I kind of angle mine down to the front of the tank, provides nice flow between the two Koralias.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So many different solutions, every system different, it's trial and error until you find what works the best for your individual system. :)

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

anybody have a good way to hook that nozzle up to pvc pipe?

10. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Here is what I did. IMO this route is cleaner then then using the other nozzel with a flex line. I used 1 inch PVC then got a 90 that took it from 1 inch to half inch thread. That's where I connected in my locLine. As you can see I put a flow regulator in as well. You will need to put in a check valve as well. This will keep your tank from siphoning back through your powerhead in the event of a power failure.

Attached Files:

11. jingles230

jingles230 Astrea Snail

i have an eshopps pf 300 and it works great! i also have a rio 2500 as the return with a ball valve of course.

12. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

I have a 55g with an Eshopps pf-800 rated for a 125 gallon tank going to a 29g sump, with a Mag 7 pump. I have a ball valve I use and dial back the flow just a bit and works perfect. The overflow in my opinion could move the water a bit faster. When I redo my sump I'm going to drill holes into the down tube, or to the durso mod.
    Here's a few pics of my set up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is from when i was installing all the piping.
    [​IMG]

Here is my piping to loc-line
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I would suggest to use 1" spa flex tubing on the drain, and 3/4" on the return. I forgot to mention I turn off my return pump everytime i feed the fish, and never lose a siphon.
    hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012