Info about sumps

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by GuitarMan89, Dec 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have a 55 gal. reef and do not have a sump. However, I have been thinking about it and would like to get some input as to the pump and over flow. My tank is not drilled so I would need an overflow. My questions are, for a 55, what over flow rate would be good? (gallons/hour). Also, what size pump would be good? (I was looking at magdrives, but any other suggestions would be good). My concern is regulating the flow into the sump and back into the tank. Is this accomplished by using ball valves or matching the pump to the over flow?

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Basically all you need is an overflow that can put out more GPH than the pump you choose. The system will balance itself out. As the pump sends water into the system, the overflow sends it back down. If the pump stops working, the water stops "overflowing".

The best thing you can do is research research research. So here ya go. These helped me out.

Saltaquarium.about.com
    How a Saltwater Aquarium Sump Works
    How does a sump work | Reef aquarium

I had the same mindset on how the whole overflow/return pump SHOULD work. You need to control the flow with ball valves and stuff etc, right? Well it's logical...but you're thinking too hard. Basically, you're leaving the water out of your thinking. If the pump is turned off, the water can't overflow down into the sump. Turn pump, water starts moving again. The system balances itself out, no tweaking needed. And in reality you only need to start the U tube siphon once, unless you take the tube out for cleaning. The siphon starts itself back up as soon as the pump gets turned back on.

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I'm not sure if you are open to the idea of drilling the tank walls, but that is also an alternative to a siphon OF. Your OF will have to be able to handle the flow of your return pump. Say you get a pump that pumps 1200GPH but your OF can only handle 600GPH, your sump will run dry and other problems will arise. In my 150G, I have a 800GPH OF, with a RIO3100 return. With the head taken into consideration, I get a flow of about 650GPH which works great. If I got a stronger pump, I would run into problems. For a 55G tank, you will want to get something in the 400-800GPH range then adjust the flow to what you need.

Jwin, when the return pump starts after a power outtage and the siphon is not re-primed, the return pump will cause the main tank to overflow; water will not flow down the OF. A siphon priming pump or airlifter is needed to restart the siphon to avoid this from happening.

1 person likes this.
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Most standard overflows are rated at 600 GPH which would be a good fit for a 55 gallon aquarium.

1 person likes this.
  6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I have a U / Siphon overflow, and have had the power go out, and have never had to restart the siphon. The box is at slightly different levels, both filled with water, and the siphon never breaks. I intentionally turn off my return from the sump when I do some maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc). The sump fills slightly, and stops when the overflow levels is reached. When I'm done, I fire the pump back up, the display fills again, and then everything continues it's merry way.

Additionally, I have the chambers in the sump setup so that if the siphon breaks, the return pump will ONLY pump the remaining water contained in the pump chamber. I have series of overflows in the sump, and the pump is in the final section - with no more water going to sump, the pump will drain the last area, remainder of the sump will be full. The display will never overflow, and the sump will never overflow. Both circumstances have been tested.

Z

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

This is far from true from what I've seen. We cut the power at least once or twice a week for cleaning or water changes, and have to have even a stray bubble get lodged up in the Utube. Starts back up every time no problems what so ever. Once a week or more the various sponges that build up debris get rinsed clean, and the Utube gets a pipe cleaner run through it as needed (which we've only done once to see if the cleaner would actually work).

As long as you have a high quality Utube and perform simple maintenance an aqualifter is not needed. Friend of mine has had the same Utube going on his setup for 3 years now, including summer storms with poweroutages. He cleans his like we clean ours, and has yet to have a problem.

To each his own.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

great advice, k+. I now have a much clearer idea of what I need and what I need to do. I also understand the physics better. Any body have any good advice on an overflow?

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Is drilling an option? Luna

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Probably not. The tank sits too close to the wall to get a drill behind it. I guess I could drill the side, but I dont' know if the glass is tempered or not. (The tank is new as of last May). Will i have to empty the tank out or could I do it with a lowered water level?

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If drilling is out of the Q, then you'll have to get a hob over flow. Luna