Infected Zoanthids?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by MrMatthew, Apr 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Lugols won't do much for it, if any at all. Another thing you want to do is a lot of good water changes. It helps keep fresh water circulating over the zoas and helps with their immunity. I haven't received my Furan-2 yet but doing 5% water changes every other day has slowed the spread on my zoas, and even cured it on a couple of my polyps. Funny thing, they are also on my purple colony. I wonder if certain colors are more susceptible to pox than others. My greens and blues are perfectly fine. *knock on wood*

2. Click Here!

3. MrMatthew

MrMatthew Plankton

Have you had any fluctuation in temperature during the time right before you noticed your zoapox? I had a temperature spike going from my normal 78-80 to 83+ around the time my zoapox really started forming. Reading a little into this and seeing people saying temperature has alot to do with it. Ofcourse it's all speculation since there no exact documented reason why it happens. Both my infected colonies are at about mid tank while my unaffected colonies are on the sand bed. Can't see how it would have anything to do with it but who know, I really dont want to move the positions they are in.

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Not that I could tell. My tanks are all kept at 77F. The colony with the pox is starting to rot away, only 5 polyps are left, out of 12. I'm getting ready to Furan dip them now.

5. MrMatthew

MrMatthew Plankton

Cool, let me know how it goes. If they get better or what, my colony went from about 25% infected to over 50% infected and still increasing. My water evaporates rather quickly so I am always adding new r/o water with salt mix frequently. I top off around twice a week most of the time. Since my water evaporates rapidly I usually do a small partial water change maybe once a month. All my water parameters are good so I'm hoping your furan dipping goes good and maybe I'll order some if my colony isn't totally dead by then.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

An update on mine. The pox was stopped dead in its tracks. The colony that had die off has regrown with a vengence. The rock frag they were sitting on was completely covered where I needed to frag the polyps off and attach them to a bigger piece of rock. For me, it only took 3 days of doseage to cure the pox. I didn't need to go through the second week like the site suggested.
    How did your zoas turn out?

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

sweet thanks for the update!