In sump UV Sterilizer

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DevinH, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Corrailline has an excellent point about killing off some nasties, that now you're fish won't have to, and thus, result in it being more able to fight off Ich. It's def not a bad idea, i just wouldn't really want it in my pod baby making department!;)

2. Click Here!

3. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Well, I am going to test this theory with ich starting tomorrow. OP I will take some pics of my set up for you it is the corallife that ingtar shinowa is talking about. lets hope this works!!

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Its really up to you, but most studies I've read on this claim that it hurts the pod population more than the Ich population, due to the duration and time needed for UV to kill Ich verse pods. That being said I ran my UV pump in the middle of the water column away from the rock work to avoid pod loss. That being said, I didn't notice a pod drop off due to the UV either, and my mandarin grew just as fast.

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

What's most important is the amount of time the water comes into contact with the UV rays, to render it useful. The ones sold to those of us keeping home aquariums can't even begin to compare to those used by public aquariums and pools. We run our water to fast through them and they are just to small.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I was under the impression from your previous post on the topic that you did not have one nor have ever owned one and used it?

1 person likes this.
  7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Too bad there are no plumbing parts you can gate back to get the right flow rate.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

lol! :lol: